Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 is apart, what to replace... with some pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default T56 is apart, what to replace... with some pics

I bought a used T56 out of an '01 Z28 with 80k miles. Shifted well according to the owner but I took it with a grain of salt. This tranny will be going into an '01 Silverado 5.3L extended cab which will be boosted soon, looking for 500+rwhp.

I finally got the T56 all apart and for the most part it looks okay. There was no excess metal on the magnets, all bearings look great and move smoothly, no chips in any gear teeth, no unusual gear wear.

The only damaged part I found were the fork pads on the 1/2 fork (I think, could be 3/4).
Broken tooth on the 3/4 blocker ring, which might have been my fault.
The synchro sleeve/out housing teeth for 1/2 and 3/4 look fairly worn too.
And the synchro teeth on 2nd gear are pretty worn, see pics. Worth replacing?

I was thinking of doing the stage 2 rebuild kit from The Gear Box, or maybe just the basic kit. After buying all the other parts needed for the swap I am low on cash, so I'm leaning towards the basic kit.

Thanks for the help.

1/2 synchro sleeve

Reverse blocker

3/4 fork pads

2nd gear

2nd gear

2nd gear

3/4 blocker

3/4 synchro sleeve

Last edited by Ferocity02; 02-23-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Still kind of hard to make out the real condition of the dog teeth on those photos but it looks like many are in rough condition. That said if they appear to be blunted or the points are worn off, they are candidates to be replaced.

Recently when I rebuilt my T56, the dog teeth on all of the gears were perfect, not a bit of wear since I am not a big gear banger. However there was light wear of the dog teeth on the 1/2 syncro ring and that caused the issue of not wanting to easily shift into 1st gear when sitting still like at a light. Once this was replaced and the tranny was done, the problem was completely gone.

Since you are doing your own rebuild and saving bucks, dont be shy about replacing questionable parts especially since you like to bang gears as evidenced by looking at your fork pads. Wow. Its no fun to have to go back into it casue you skimped.

Also dont forget to check the fitment of the 5/6 driven cluster gear. If you had to pull it off with a puller, your good. If it easily slipped off the main shaft by hand, you just found another worn gear and possibly a worn main shaft.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Still kind of hard to make out the real condition of the dog teeth on those photos but it looks like many are in rough condition. That said if they appear to be blunted or the points are worn off, they are candidates to be replaced.

Recently when I rebuilt my T56, the dog teeth on all of the gears were perfect, not a bit of wear since I am not a big gear banger. However there was light wear of the dog teeth on the 1/2 syncro ring and that caused the issue of not wanting to easily shift into 1st gear when sitting still like at a light. Once this was replaced and the tranny was done, the problem was completely gone.

Since you are doing your own rebuild and saving bucks, dont be shy about replacing questionable parts especially since you like to bang gears as evidenced by looking at your fork pads. Wow. Its no fun to have to go back into it casue you skimped.

Also dont forget to check the fitment of the 5/6 driven cluster gear. If you had to pull it off with a puller, your good. If it easily slipped off the main shaft by hand, you just found another worn gear and possibly a worn main shaft.
This is not my transmission, I bought it used. The 2nd gear ain't cheap so I was hoping the synchro teeth on it would be okay to reuse.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
This is not my transmission, I bought it used.
Huhhh???

You will simply need to determine what needs to be replaced. No point rebuilding it if you dont install what it requires. From what your implying, 2nd is shot and needs to be replaced.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Huhhh???
You said I like to bang gears as evidenced by looking at my fork pads. I was just saying that the previous owner did that, not me.

I'll go through the parts again and see what needs replacing. I can't afford to do the stage 2 build and replace gears. Thanks for the help.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
I bought a used T56 out of an '01 Z28 with 80k miles. Shifted well according to the owner but I took it with a grain of salt. This tranny will be going into an '01 Silverado 5.3L extended cab which will be boosted soon, looking for 500+rwhp.

I finally got the T56 all apart and for the most part it looks okay. There was no excess metal on the magnets, all bearings look great and move smoothly, no chips in any gear teeth, no unusual gear wear.

The only damaged part I found were the fork pads on the 1/2 fork (I think, could be 3/4).
Broken tooth on the 3/4 blocker ring, which might have been my fault.
The synchro sleeve/out housing teeth for 1/2 and 3/4 look fairly worn too.
And the synchro teeth on 2nd gear are pretty worn, see pics. Worth replacing?

I was thinking of doing the stage 2 rebuild kit from The Gear Box, or maybe just the basic kit. After buying all the other parts needed for the swap I am low on cash, so I'm leaning towards the basic kit.

Thanks for the help.
First off, go ahead and replace your second gear. I know that it is expensive but if you dont all you are going to do is end up eating up the engagement teeth on the synchro associated with it. Second off a rebuild stage kit is the way to go, however if you are putting it in a truck (which is a lot heavier than a fbody) then there is going to be alot higher stress level on the tranny. With that being said I would look into a stage 3 viper spec. We have them for sale as a kit for you:

http://www.tick-performance.com/tick...body/t56parts/
Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2nd gear is reusable with some minor deburring done to it.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the input. I got a new 2nd gear and will probably go with a stage 2 rebuild kit but without the 3/4 syncho assembly, as it looks to be in decent shape, just to save some money.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 79 Likes on 68 Posts

I've reprofiled gears like that, but it's a toss up based on your pictures. I'm sure it might work if cleaned up some, but not ideal.

Quick Reply: T56 is apart, what to replace... with some pics