Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Transmission cross brace question

Old 02-28-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Transmission cross brace question

I'm wondering if I can loosen the 4 bolts on the transmission cross brace to shift it over toward the passenger side a bit. The problem I'm having is it's hitting my Kooks TD's and I can't do anything to adjust the exhaust so it's not bumping it. I had a new clutch installed last fall and I can see the old outline of the bolt marks....it's only about 1/4" difference but if it was at the old location the exhaust would clear. I just don't want to go loosening bolts on something when I don't know what's going to happen if I do. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2012, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two of the bolt holes on the crossmember are slotted (i believe the right side can be moved right to left and the left forward/back) but the other two holes on each side arnt slotted.

So I dont think you are going to be able to move the crossmember much by just loosening the bolts.

There are three sets of holes in the frame that the crossmember can be bolted to though, you might be able to move it over using those. Then if you have a poly transmission mount you could move the bolt over in that to compensate for shifting the crossmember. My poly trans mount has three holes in it atleast.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ok....I'll give it a try at least. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to hurt anything by loosening the bolts and trying to shift it.

Search this Thread