Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Stock Replacement Trans Mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Replacement Trans Mount

Do I need the mount from an A4 or M6 Lt1 car for it to be the correct fit on my LS1? Since the only one they list for the Ls cars is $125.

Thanks
Old 03-02-2012, 04:49 AM
On The Tree

Energy suspension is a lot cheaper, picked up one from autozone for $30 the other day, just trying to help save u money, as far mounts being same not sure, wait for someone else to chime in
Old 03-02-2012, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Poly trans mount ftw. Like $30 as mentioned.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a stock a4 mount if you need it
Old 03-02-2012, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it is the same then yeah.

Not interested in the poly mounts..too noisy for me. It's my daily driver.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to tell you a little story.

When I installed the Kooks 1 7/8 tubes on my F body, I installed poly motor mounts. It was felt that Kooks tucks their tubes close enough that you should use poly motor mounts to keep them from touching the body when torqued. When I see how close they were, I agreed. Fantastic fit and ground clearance. While I was at it, I also changed to a poly trans mount. When I was done, the vibration inside the car was very noticeable. In fact, it was unpleasant. Enough so that I considered going back to normal motor mounts and putting up with some exhaust clunks. Then I read here where poly trans mounts were a bad idea because they could break the trans extension housing. So I did some searching and found a brand new GM trans mount on Amazon of all places for $47!!! Part # 22174970. It may fit both AT and MT...but I'm not sure. Regardless, it showed up and was a true GM mount. I stuck it in the car and I was totally blown away. The car drove like a brand new vehicle!!! ALL the vibration was GONE! If someone had told me that a simple trans mount would make such a difference, I would have called BS...but it is the absolute truth. I think you can find other testaments here as well.

Do NOT use a poly trans mount!
Old 03-02-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Do NOT be afraid to use a poly transmission mount. Everyone complains about them and takes them off. You must drive them for a few weeks, and then the vibrations will be completely gone. It will soften up. I've used 3 different poly trans mounts in daily drivers, all on stock rubber motor mounts, and all noise and vibrations go away after a bit of driving. They definitely hold the shifter in place a whole lot better. Most people feel the vibes on day 1 and take them out, but you gotta give it time. Trust me.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Do NOT be afraid to use a poly transmission mount. Everyone complains about them and takes them off. You must drive them for a few weeks, and then the vibrations will be completely gone. It will soften up. I've used 3 different poly trans mounts in daily drivers, all on stock rubber motor mounts, and all noise and vibrations go away after a bit of driving. They definitely hold the shifter in place a whole lot better. Most people feel the vibes on day 1 and take them out, but you gotta give it time. Trust me.
Agreed. I have had polys on 3 f-bodys now and will never look back. You MUST give it time with normal driving to break in. Some cars are way more noticeable at first compared to others, but they will break in.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes they stiffen it up which is nice. But its not the fact that it vibrates anything..in fact its not too loud when putting around. Its that at highway speeds I can hear the roaring of everything drivetrain related coming through the console. It is very irritating to me.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just need to know which of the Lt mounts is the same height as the ls1 6 spd mount.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just took my energy suspension mount back off, removed the plate reinstalled it and it is MUCH more tolerable now. It really is no louder than the stock rubber mount. The stock mount measured the same as the energy suspension mount when the preload plate is removed.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:47 PM
TECH Junkie

I've always preferred the Prothane trans mounts, but I heard about a new mount made by Energy Suspension that has a plate in there that prevents it from disconnecting in the event the polyurethane might rip..

Old 03-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Launching!

how much time should you allow for breaking in poly mounts? time wise, miles? I'm very annoyed with mine but i just found this thread. It sucks.. but if it will go away i'll wait. i just don't want to mess anything up... just picked my car up with a completely rebuilt drive train.

btw mines only got 3-5 days of driving and about 250miles on motor and trans mounts.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd say a week to three weeks probably. All 3 of my poly mounts I've used softened up in around that timeframe.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Sorry...mine was on for over a year. And it was horrible. I can't buy that explanation. Others have complained as well.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't use the spacer that comes with it. Trust me. If I say its no louder than stock without the spacer then its not. I'm picky about noises.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Idk if its starting to soften or im getting more used to it.. but seems each time i drive it, its a little less and less. Like i said not sure which... i used all prothane mounts.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Well, if the poly is starting to soften, then they are failing. The reason to use them is so they DON'T go soft and move. That just doesn't make sense to buy am fairly solid mount, then have it move.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
Well, if the poly is starting to soften, then they are failing. The reason to use them is so they DON'T go soft and move. That just doesn't make sense to buy am fairly solid mount, then have it move.
it's not a piece of metal... it's rubber. it has SOME give, and it will probably settle in. But i drove the car again today, and i think it's more so the fact that i'm starting to tune out the harshness of the tans mount.

this is my 2cents, i'm not a racer, i want to have an enjoyable car with a fair amount of power, i have the power.. now i'm going to put in the stock trans mount to gain more comfort over the poly.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Regular

I broke my stock mount and then replaced it with a es poly. It was noisier than I wanted so I bought a stock replacement for iirc $90. Well, I broke that one, too. So now I'm back to the poly for the main reason is I am not going to keep buying stock mounts that break, so I'll deal with the little extra noise/vibration.

Quick Reply: Stock Replacement Trans Mount