Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Blown new wilwood master???

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Blown new wilwood master???

long story short,

Just installed ls1/t56 into my 89 240sx. I used the wilwood compact 3/4 clutch master like everyone else doing this swap. I also replaced the throw out bearing, slave, new spec3 clutch and new fllywheel. braided line to master, and braided line off the bleeder with speed bleeder at the end.

When installed in car i had bled the system, the old fashioned way. Clutch engagement was kinda low to floor but not bad.

Other day i test drove the car and noticed it was kinda hard to get into gear, and clutch was engaging very close to the floor. then i let it sit. Came out later to move it into garage to work on it and noticed i could not get it into any gear. forced it into reverse and had bad creep.

Pushed it into garage and started trying to bleed the system again. i noticed clutch pedal was not holding pressure. I could get no fluid to come out the bleeder. witih pump pump pedal method and open bleeder. or put pedal to floor open bleeder then release pedal. I have a mityvac but due to the design of the wilwood you cant get the hose end or "needle" attachment onto the hole. its at the bottom on the side angled.

when i put the mityvac on the bleeder end i could not get any fluid to pull out, with master resivour open or close...

I did notice what MIGHT of been a little bit of splatter fluid around my clutch pedal.

The master was brand new, i also switched the nissan "adjustment rod" onto the wilwood and had to extend the fork all the way out to reach the pedal.

also i noticed my braided line is very close to my longtube headers. I will cover this with firesleeve tomorrow. any thoughts really quick on what might of happened?

my main concern is im getting no fluid out the bleeder end... resivour is full. I need to undo the slave line and see if the pedal goes stiff or not. maybe i blew the master seal someohow..

Just want some ideas before i slap a new master in and have same thing happen.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

also i will be trying the jmd method and run the speed bleeder hose up vertical and a tube into the reservoir. But as i mentioned gravity bleed got me no where... no fluid coming out

"note" i cant use a different master cylinder, only this one will fit between my firewall and shock tower directly in front of it
Old 03-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

well i took the master out today. removed the little boot. everything looked fine. i put the master in a vice, filled it with fluid. it was hard to push in with screwdriver.. although when pushed allway in it did not want to come back out. (guessing cause theres no pressure from slave

I dont have a spare slave to bench bleed it.

at this time i dunked my banjo fitting into a whole container of tranny fluid at the top.

From the bottom i hooked the mityvac up to the remote bleeder line hanging low. i proceeded to pull plenty of fluid through the line. closed the bleeder. so I know its pulling fluid in.

Put the master back in. adjusted rod out.. same thing... no pedal stiffness, it just crashes to the floor and will not come back up.

Gravity bleeding does not work, the master just stays full. with the master hooked up and me trying to pull fluid from the bottom with the mityvac i can get no fluid with pedal in or out.

I cant mityvac from teh top due to the design of the wilwood master and the hole being on the bottom sidewall and no directly below.

I have no leaking coming from bell housing. Im pretty lost on what else to do.

im wondering is my master cylinder good since it wont return to original position?? I dont have spare slave to bench bleed it out...

can anyone think of anything before im forced to try to pull the tranny out

once again everything was new, new flywheel, new spec clutch, new throwout bearing, new braided lines, new gm slave, new everything. it worked fine for a day although disengaged close to floor... now i cant get it to disengage at all...
Old 03-07-2012, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

Def sounds like a loss of pressure.

Have you double-checked that all your braided connections are tight?

Have you checked for leaks along the entire system?

Is there anyway that you can check if the connection to the slave, or from the slave to the speed bleeder line is leaking?

When the clutch slave on my 240 went, the pedal would not spring back.

Seems like it 's important to always check for operation before installing everything.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

just an update, i bought new master. installed. bled. everything was working great... for about two days.

then bam the pedal drops right back to the floor again. now even with mityvac, pressure bleeder, etc i cant get hte system to hold pressure.

if i have the pressure bleeder on it it will feel stiff. but once i remove it... pedal just goes to the floor. Im wondering if i just popped another brand new wilwood master again.. doesent seem like that should be possible. im hoping i dont have to drop the tranny. but even when i unhook the slave the master easily just pushed in with the pedal. no pressure at all. feels like another broken master.

i dont know whats going on here.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

buy a tick master ur problem will be solved
Old 03-23-2012, 10:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 96blkformula
buy a tick master ur problem will be solved
Old 07-28-2012, 08:19 AM
12 Second Club

I am having the same exact problem any resolution?
Old 05-07-2014, 01:40 AM
Staging Lane

Did you ever get the problem fixed? I'm having the same issue in my 98 240sx LS2/T56. Brand new rebuilt transmission, new monster stage 2 clutch and flywheel, new GM slave, I'm on my second Wilwood master cylinder. First one worked for a couple days then lost pressure and started leaking into the car. Second one won't even build pressure. I've bled the system for hours. Straight fluid comes out the speed bleeder. No air at all. But pedal feels soft and won't go into gear sitting still.

Quick Reply: Blown new wilwood master???