Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anyone running a centerforce dual friction disc with another mfg's pressure plate?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 01:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone running a centerforce dual friction disc with another mfg's pressure plate?

So the car in discussion is my 95 TA.

When I bought it had a centerforce dual friction kit on it. When it wore out I threw a McLeod unit in there (Super Street) at the same time did a rebuild on the T56.

First clutch was no good as the disc was not within tolerance, and was too thick. Pulled it all apart, McLeod gave me a new disc, and everything seemed fine.

Second time around gave it a full break in of over 1k miles and I burned it up in less than 4k miles (no ther changes to the car, driving it same way as with Centerforce).

3rd time around McLeod told me to try the organic disc because it might work better for my application.

Well, I haven't burned it up, but it sure doesn't feel like a disc with dual friction material. I was almost leaning towards trying the centerforce disc with the McLeod pressure plate. I really was impressed with the centerforce as I got over 15k out of it after the previous over already got 30k out of it.

Anyone tried this set-up?

Oh Yeah, I am getting ready to rebuild the motor so I figured I'd put a fresh disc in there and resurface the flywheel since it's gonna be apart. Thats the whole reason for the post.

Last edited by SPDEMON; 03-07-2012 at 01:18 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Nobody using a mix/match clutch set-up?

Not really into the weights on the centerforce pressure plate, but like the actual disc.

Thoughts?

Also, not trying to start anything with McLeod, I know they are a reputable company and make good products, my results are not typical.

I'd love to put a twin disc in there but really dont feel like spending a $ grand on it.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Banned

You can run a any disc with any pressure plate. Results will vary naturally. It use to be a very popular combo among the Mustang fox body guys to run a Centerforce DF disc with a Ford Motorsports pressure plate.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by thesource
You can run a any disc with any pressure plate. Results will vary naturally. It use to be a very popular combo among the Mustang fox body guys to run a Centerforce DF disc with a Ford Motorsports pressure plate.
Thanks
Old 03-09-2012, 12:31 PM
Teching In

the centerforce pressure plate we have here, has "luk" stamped into it, and if you pop the retainer ring off, the weights slide right out, i just pulled the weights off.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RyanS13
the centerforce pressure plate we have here, has "luk" stamped into it, and if you pop the retainer ring off, the weights slide right out, i just pulled the weights off.
Cool, good to know.

My pressure plate is nearly new but the disc feels like it has seen better days with only 4k miles on it. I have to rebuild the motor, and the car is down, so I figured I would change the clutch disc and resurface the flywheel before I put everything back in.

Much cheaper to buy the disc by itself, trying to save a few bucks.

Quick Reply: Anyone running a centerforce dual friction disc with another mfg's pressure plate?