Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Corvette rear adapter bolt to TR6060 main case?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 Corvette rear adapter bolt to TR6060 main case?

I have a TR6060 I'm using in a strange project.

Can a T56 Corvette extension housing/differential adapter bolt up to a TR6060 main case? That would simplify my project significantly.

Does anyone have one they'd like to sell?

The project is a BMW AWD E30 with M5 V8 engine, TR6060 transmission, Syclone/Typhoon BW 4472 T-case and BMW X5 oil pan and front diff.

My TR6060 is from a 2010 Camaro and I know that the shift shaft will have to be trimmed to use the Corvette extension housing.

Last edited by The Dark Side of Wil; 03-14-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:18 PM
Banned

It will bolt up but you have several issues to deal with internally. What is the application the TR6060 is from?
Old 03-14-2012, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Thanks!

My TR6060 is from a 2010 Camaro and I know that the shift shaft will have to be trimmed to use the Corvette extension housing.

What other problems will I have?

I know that using the Camaro shift tower with the Corvette extension housing will leave me without CAGS. I'm fine with that. The BMW engine management doesn't use that "feature".

I don't know where the Corvette VSS is located, but the BMW VSS is mounted in the differential case, so not having a VSS location won't be a problem.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:38 AM
On The Tree

Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest issue you will have to address is the rear cluster bearing. Some T56 transmissions have a two piece cluster shaft where the 5th gen camaro TR6060 has a 1 piece. Depending on what year differential you are using you will have to have a good bit of custom machining done by a shop that is familiar with this modification. If you use a late model T56 tail housing from a 06/07 C6 Z06 transmission you won't have to have it machined. Then you will need a mainshaft from an 08-11 C6 TR6060. Another route would be to use a C5 differential pray to the T56 gods for a tail housing from an old 2.29 ratio race box. Then you would need a mainshaft out of a C6 base model TR6060 with the 27 spline outputshaft. But the 2.29 race boxes might as well not exist anymore.

When addressing is the mainshaft, you will need to tear the transmission down to bare bones and change the mainshaft out for a Corvette shaft.

My biggest concern with it all is the lack of a reverse lockout provision. You will be able to shift into reverse VERY easy when trying to go to 5th gear.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
The biggest issue you will have to address is the rear cluster bearing. Some T56 transmissions have a two piece cluster shaft where the 5th gen camaro TR6060 has a 1 piece. Depending on what year differential you are using you will have to have a good bit of custom machining done by a shop that is familiar with this modification. If you use a late model T56 tail housing from a 06/07 C6 Z06 transmission you won't have to have it machined. Then you will need a mainshaft from an 08-11 C6 TR6060. Another route would be to use a C5 differential pray to the T56 gods for a tail housing from an old 2.29 ratio race box. Then you would need a mainshaft out of a C6 base model TR6060 with the 27 spline outputshaft. But the 2.29 race boxes might as well not exist anymore.

When addressing is the mainshaft, you will need to tear the transmission down to bare bones and change the mainshaft out for a Corvette shaft.

My biggest concern with it all is the lack of a reverse lockout provision. You will be able to shift into reverse VERY easy when trying to go to 5th gear.

Hope this helps.
Great info! Thanks!

So the 90 degree solenoid with the black electrical connector is the reverse lockout, while the straight solenoid with the white connector is CAGS?
I was under the impression it was the other way around.

For my application, I'll be mating the trans to a 4472 transfer case (Syclone/Typhoon/Bravada) rather than a Corvette diff. The T56 Corvette diff adapter appears to be best suited to mounting the T-case. I'll be machining a custom adapter plate to mate the Corvette adapter to the T-case.

Is the machine work you mention necessary to accomodate the rear bearing for the one-piece countershaft, or to accomodate the differential (You mentioned the differential in the same sentence as the machine work)?

Packaging and compactness of the overall driveline layout is very important for this project. I have been expecting to identify a need for a custom output shaft once I get all the cases to mate up.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:46 AM
On The Tree

Also, I don't think the BMW computer controls a reverse lockout anyway...
Old 03-16-2012, 08:09 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by The Dark Side of Wil
Great info! Thanks!

So the 90 degree solenoid with the black electrical connector is the reverse lockout, while the straight solenoid with the white connector is CAGS?
I was under the impression it was the other way around.

For my application, I'll be mating the trans to a 4472 transfer case (Syclone/Typhoon/Bravada) rather than a Corvette diff. The T56 Corvette diff adapter appears to be best suited to mounting the T-case. I'll be machining a custom adapter plate to mate the Corvette adapter to the T-case.

Is the machine work you mention necessary to accomodate the rear bearing for the one-piece countershaft, or to accomodate the differential (You mentioned the differential in the same sentence as the machine work)?

Packaging and compactness of the overall driveline layout is very important for this project. I have been expecting to identify a need for a custom output shaft once I get all the cases to mate up.

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/images/p...R6060_1_lg.jpg

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/images/p...R6060_2_lg.jpg
Yes the black connector is the reverse lockout and the white one is CAGS.

The welding and machining of the tailhousing is to accomodate the 1 piece rear cluster bearing.

Yes you will need to have a custom mainshaft built. The corvette mainshaft is very long and will more than likely push the transfer case back too far. I have been working on this conversion for an overseas customer for a little bit.

Also, I don't think the BMW computer controls a reverse lockout anyway...
Correct the BMW computer won't control it but it only needs 12 volts to control it. So you could hook it up to your brake light switch.

I replied to your PM. Just let me know if you have any questions at all.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Thanks!

My transmission has the semi-remote shifter mounted to the inspection cover on the main case. If I have to work some magic to accomodate that and the Corvette reverse lockout in the same fitting, I'll figure that out.

Good point about the brake light switch.

How many different Corvette rear adapters are there? The one pictured above is what's currently on the GM Powertrain website... What years is that used?

This is the adapter I've seen that looks like it's the best choice to mate up to the T-case:

What application is this from? '99-'04 Vette?

What was used '05-'09?

Last edited by The Dark Side of Wil; 03-16-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:36 PM
FormerVendor

The tail housing you have pictured was actually 97-05. 04 and 05 use a gasket where 97-03 use RTV sealer. You MUST reuse the gasket if you get a gasket style tail housing.

06-07 Corvette T56 transmissions use this type tail housing

Last edited by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions; 03-26-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Zombie thread!

Does the 32 spline output shaft from an SSR T56 work in a TR6060?
Old 07-14-2016, 07:36 AM
FormerVendor

Zombie thread!

Does the 32 spline output shaft from an SSR T56 work in a TR6060?
No, the SSR T56 shaft won't work in a TR6060.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Completely incompatible? Is there some rudimentary machine work (e.g. turn a journal down, face a should back, bore a bearing hole bigger) that could make it work?
Old 09-25-2016, 08:07 AM
Teching In

Thanks!

My transmission has the semi-remote shifter mounted to the inspection cover on the main case. If I have to work some magic to accomodate that and the Corvette reverse lockout in the same fitting, I'll figure that out.

Good point about the brake light switch.

How many different Corvette rear adapters are there? The one pictured above is what's currently on the GM Powertrain website... What years is that used?

This is the adapter I've seen that looks like it's the best choice to mate up to the T-case:

What application is this from? '99-'04 Vette?

What was used '05-'09?
Can you re post the pics? They don't show or open.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
The tail housing you have pictured was actually 97-05. 04 and 05 use a gasket where 97-03 use RTV sealer. You MUST reuse the gasket if you get a gasket style tail housing.

06-07 Corvette T56 transmissions use this type tail housing

Same thing re the pic - it doesn't show up or open
Old 09-25-2016, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LT1BC
Can you re post the pics? They don't show or open.
They were ebay pics, so they're long gone.

This is the '97-'04 rear adapter that I have:

I've also figured out how to bolt up the 4472 T-case with an adapter plate about 1.1" thick. I'll use the aftermarket 32 spline input shaft for that T-case and a custom output shaft.
The 'Vette rear housing has two output shaft seals in a common bore with a weep hole between them. The "inner" seal is the transmission output seal. The "outer" seal is actually the 'Vette's differential input seal. For reasons that are not evident, the journal that seal rides on is smaller than the journal the inner seal rides on... IOW, the shaft necks down for that seal journal, then necks down further to the 27 spline diameter. As one can see from looking at pics of the SSR output shaft, the inner seal journal diameter is the same as the 32 spline OD.

I can just skip the outer seal because the T-case has its own input seal, which means that my custom output shaft can remain the 32 spline diameter all the way out. It will considerably shorter than any other T56 or TR6060 output shaft as it will only need to protrude ~1.5" beyond the face of the 'Vette rear adapter.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:39 AM
Teching In

In your opening post, you were going with the TR6060, but you're mentioning a 32 spline (and the 32 spline is not compatible with the TR6060)? Am bit confused (I'm pretty new to this so bear with me if I sound a bit lost).

The 97-04 tail housing in the pics is for a 2pc counter? What is the part # (is it AC Delco 12455042) ? The TR6060's are 1 pc counter, so a 06-07 tail would be required?
Old 09-27-2016, 08:04 PM
On The Tree

There's no reason an outfit that makes output shafts couldn't do a custom 32 spline shaft for the TR6060.

The production 32 spline shafts used in the SSR T56 are not compatible with the TR6060 due to the 3-4 synchro hub spline diameter.

When using the 4472 transfer case, the only options are the 27 spline original input shaft or the 32 spline aftermarket input shaft. I can buy the 32 spline output shaft without having to make a custom order, although demand for that part is dropping and it's typically only available in group buys these days.

Jeremy@RPMTransmissions above told me that shop could modify the early rear adapter to accept the one piece counter shaft.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:18 PM
Teching In

I take it that you've not completed the build yet, and will be going with a T56 (not a Magnum or TR6060)?
Old 09-28-2016, 04:54 AM
On The Tree

I take it that you've not completed the build yet,
Correct. I ha be a bunch of other things going on and just recently figured out how to do this without a 5" long adapter.

and will be going with a T56 (not a Magnum or TR6060)?
I have no idea why you think this.

Quick Reply: T56 Corvette rear adapter bolt to TR6060 main case?