Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick Speedbleeder - Drop Trans without bellhousing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Tick Speedbleeder - Drop Trans without bellhousing?

I'm getting ready to install a Tick Master and speedbleeder on my 99 and am not familiar LS clutch slave cylinder/throwout setup at all.

Been working on my 97 for a decade so I know how difficult it is to get to the engine-bellhousing bolts. Would it be possible to install the speedbleader by removing the transmission and leaving the bellhousing/clutch attached to the engine? If so, would this be the easier or harder way - keep in mind I won't be using a lift.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes. You can remove the tranny from the bellhousing, leaving the bellhousing and clutch still attached to the motor.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definitely say it's easier to remove the transmission from the bellhousing, leaving the bellhousing and clutch still attached. 2 or 3 of the top trans to bellhousing bolts are a pain, but I would think it would be darn near impossible to get the top 2 or 3 bellhousing to engine bolts with the trans in place-you'd probably need a 4+ foot extension-literally! Once you disconnect the transmission, the slave cylinder is right there. I'd recommend replacing the slave while you're there, especially if it's the original. Also, you'll want to be able to lower the transmission down to ground level so you can remove the slave easier and make sure the remote bleeder fittings are tightened correctly.

Quick Reply: Tick Speedbleeder - Drop Trans without bellhousing?