Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch upgrade too much ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch upgrade too much ?

hello,
i'm on the edge of going for a stage 4 monster basic package - billet not lightweight
tick performance master cylinder re-installing a new gm - slave cylinder.
---
is stage 4 too much for a completely stock ws6?
ofc in the future i plan to to do more upgrades
but i can't run fast on it since its my daily drive car.
---
will i be facing trouble with having stage 4 while my ws6 is stock ?
if so what do you guy's recommend ?
Old 03-19-2012, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed the 3 this weekend and I promise I wouldn't even think of getting a higher level...on a stock car the level 1 would be just fine because it is an upgrade from a LS7 clutch. Call Steve at Monster clutches before you buy because the 4 is way too much clutch for you.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree with the post above. A level 4 is ideal for a car making considerably more power. At that level there would be a trade-off between strength and street manners.

From both a cost and performance standpoint, the LS7 clutch is an excellent upgrade to the crappy stock clutch. If you're dead set on going with a Monster, give them a ring to see what they would recommend. More than likely going to be the Stage 1.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AmDWs6
hello,
i'm on the edge of going for a stage 4 monster basic package - billet not lightweight
tick performance master cylinder re-installing a new gm - slave cylinder.
---
is stage 4 too much for a completely stock ws6?
ofc in the future i plan to to do more upgrades
but i can't run fast on it since its my daily drive car.
---
will i be facing trouble with having stage 4 while my ws6 is stock ?
if so what do you guy's recommend ?
You mentioned that its you daily driver.... I wouldnt even look at a level 4 for a stock daily. Your level choice is going to depend on what you end goal as far as power and torque goes. The level 2 is rated for 550rwtq and the level 3 is rated for 700 rwtq. The 2 is going to be very street friendly and will almost be identical to stock pedal pressure. Level 3 is 8% firmer pedal. Again it will come down to what your end result will be.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chris@Tick
You mentioned that its you daily driver.... I wouldnt even look at a level 4 for a stock daily. Your level choice is going to depend on what you end goal as far as power and torque goes. The level 2 is rated for 550rwtq and the level 3 is rated for 700 rwtq. The 2 is going to be very street friendly and will almost be identical to stock pedal pressure. Level 3 is 8% firmer pedal. Again it will come down to what your end result will be.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
one thing is this car wont be for ever my daily drive & ofc will go way higher regarding the horsepower i'm even considering a project to switch the engine to LS3 OR LSX so the stage 4 might even at that point be worth it, im simply looking at the future calculations too, my friend has a stage 4 monster and he only did cams/headers.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
other than the clutch becoming hard i find no problem the car either ways only goes a max of 2-5m daily and from thursday to saturday its just sitting here.
---------
my main worry is will i be facing any other bigger problems using a stage 4 on the stock engine while its stock.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No issues will stem from using it while it is stock. I basically was stating for a stock car it would be overkill. If you are definitely going to throw a lot of power at it in the future then go for it. Again, the level 3 I have will hold somewhere around 700 lbs tq. Not sure what your plans are tq wise but I promise you this 3 is stout and drives very well. If you plan for more...go for it! I would definitely call Steve at Monster if you have more questions as he was very helpful to me. Good luck
Old 03-23-2012, 02:54 PM
FormerVendor

Read my site, it clearly says to not use a Level 4 for daily driving. If it's a daily use the 3 or 5, if it's limited street use then go with the 4. On a stock car that is severely over clutching it. If you have further questions call us or Tick and we'll get you squared away.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

i've decided to go with the stage 3 as my budget got squeezed due to needing more other stuff.

thanks for your help, hope the tick master cyl, stage 3 clutch can handle my clutching
Old 03-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Teching In

stage 3 is way too much. you are losing hp by installing that clutch. you want a clutch with a safety factor just above the torque handling that is required. otherwise, you are adding unnecessary rotational mass to the drivetrain. I would suggest the LS6 clutch.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:44 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SaberD
stage 3 is way too much. you are losing hp by installing that clutch. you want a clutch with a safety factor just above the torque handling that is required. otherwise, you are adding unnecessary rotational mass to the drivetrain. I would suggest the LS6 clutch.
This isn't true at all in any way.

Actually, the MOI (Moment of Inertia) on my Level 3 is less than that of a factory LS6 so it will actually make a touch more power. The clutch is much more than enough to hold the power he's making, it's not going to cost him power though. The only downside is that the clutch is complete overkill when it's not necessary, he could get a 2 and have better drivability.

Quick Reply: clutch upgrade too much ?