Go Back   LS1TECH > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > Manual Transmission
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register iTraderTimeslips Photos Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Used CarsVendor Directory
Search

Manual Transmission
T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters
Sponsored by
McLeod Clutch

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 04-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 4
Default What's This Noise? (video)

I just finished replacing my clutch and it feels like it drives great so far. The only thing is that sometimes when shifting into a new gear (most often on the 1-2 shift but sometimes on others), it makes a deep humming/vibrating sound and I can feel it in the shifter slightly. It only lasts for a second. It seems like it goes away as soon I release the clutch pedal. If I keep the pedal down it seems like it last just a fraction of a second longer than it otherwise would. Again, it doesn't do it all the time, maybe 30-40% of the time on the 1-2 shift and less with the other gears. Any ideas?

Here are the videos I just took. You can hear it right away on the 1-2 shift but you'll probably have to watch a few times as it is not very loud.

First video: http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_Noise_3.mp4

Second video: http://s242.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_Noise_2.mp4
1996 Trans Am, Red M6: HotCam Kit, LS1 Brake Upgrade, MGW Shifter, MadZ28 Tune, Morosso CAI, Pacesetter LTs, Hooker catback, UMI SFCs, LCAs w. relocation brackets, Bilstein shocks, lowered 1.25", underdrive pulley, 160* thermostat, detailed engine, customized interior, carbon fiber trim.
349 RWHP / 344 RWTQ
1quickTransAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

anybody have ANY ideas???
1996 Trans Am, Red M6: HotCam Kit, LS1 Brake Upgrade, MGW Shifter, MadZ28 Tune, Morosso CAI, Pacesetter LTs, Hooker catback, UMI SFCs, LCAs w. relocation brackets, Bilstein shocks, lowered 1.25", underdrive pulley, 160* thermostat, detailed engine, customized interior, carbon fiber trim.
349 RWHP / 344 RWTQ
Old 04-08-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
On The Tree
1998 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 0

Second gear syncronizer.

1998 Z28 M6 |LT's|ORY|LS6 Intake|SLP Lid|Free Mods|Cutout|Stock Catback|Tune|BLS Hid's|C6Z Wheels|Strano Springs|KYB AGX|
Youtube Page
Black96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Thanks for the thought. The trans was rebuilt 6,000 miles ago by a company that specializes in T56s so that would be a surprise!

I been observing it more and here are some additional things I've noticed that make me think not a syncro...

It will "hum" even after it is in the new gear until I re-engage the clutch. It made the humming noise again last night and I just kept the clutch pedal down to see what happened and it continued for about 4 seconds until I let the peddle up.

By the way, your car looks GREAT Black96z28!
349 RWHP / 344 RWTQ
Old 04-11-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

This sounds EXACTLY like what I've got going on:

Buzzing noise when shifting & shift rattle - ls1 T56

I didn't replace my pilot bearing (bushing actually) when I did my clutch swap because the old one only had 6,000 miles on it. Do you really think this could be the issue?
349 RWHP / 344 RWTQ

Last edited by 1quickTransAm; 04-11-2012 at 09:31 AM..
Old 04-12-2012, 02:26 AM   #6
TECH Enthusiast
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 7

Yours sounds more like a thump than a buzzing noise...
Old 04-12-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Yeah, in the video it did because it was really short. When it happens, I noticed that it pretty much stays making the noise/humming/slight vibration until the clutch is re-engaged.
349 RWHP / 344 RWTQ
Old 05-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

Pulled the trans this weekend and found the culprit - a slightly bent flange on the throwout bearing. I replaced the pilot bushing while I was in there too so it could have been a contributor, but since the throwout bearing flange was visibly bent I'm pretty sure that was it.
349 RWHP / 344 RWTQ
Old 05-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
10 Second Club
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 3

I doubt the throwout bearing or pilot bearing is going to make the difference your looking for. I personally don't think theres a problem at all. The noise you're probably hearing is the disc rattling on the input shaft as you change gear. Every time an upshift is made, the disc has to be drasticly slowed down to match the next gear and sometime it will make noise. If it makes you feel better, my car has always made the noise your hearing.

Twisted Minds Racing
2000 Silver SS M6 9.71@142
BarneyMobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
TECH Apprentice
Garage is empty, add now

The new throwout bearing and pilot bearing DID solve the issue - that's what I was trying to say. I've driven for a few days and its been perfect the whole time.
349 RWHP / 344 RWTQ
Old 05-08-2012, 11:24 AM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
bearing, brake, break, buzzing, catback, change, click, clutch, ls1, noise, pilot, replace, sound, swap, t56