Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch/Trans learning

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/Trans learning

Never replaced anything but a stock clutch before. Finally getting into modding my car and I know I'll need to upgrade my clutch before long. Looking at Diamond and Monster, but getting to Monsters website I'm a little confused. Never heard a difference between 11" and 12" clutches. Not sure which one I'll need, which would suit me better, what the differences are. Also those compared to the twin disc. Long term mods will be Chris1313 intake, 98mm lid, 92mm TB, 92mm Fast manifold, 1 7/8 LTH to a tru-dual x pipe, 3.90 gears, 9"rear, 224/224 cam, chromemoly driveshaft, superior axles, ractronix fuel pump and 32lb injectors, fast lsx rails. Also what kind of trans rebuild would need to be done? I'm guessing around 480 horse? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in the same boat. Trying to pick a clutch. The diamond is supposed to be real nice. The monsters lOok to be great also. A 12 inch should be fine. I stage 2 should do it on either brand. Alot of guys seem to like to over clutch their cars. I want to retain driveablility so I'm looking at the monster level 1 or 2. Or a diamond or spec stage 1. All seem like they would do the job. For your power I'd go stage/ level 2
Old 04-17-2012, 08:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stage 2 is where I was heading also. Atleast able to handle more power than I'll be pushing, without going over the top. I've always kinda leaned towards the diamond (not sure why) but also have always heard great things about Monster, so I would never just rule them out without doing my research. The problem is I'll research it for over a month hearing alot of the same things over and over before finally deciding. May one day decide to procharge it and truly go insane with this car and get a clutch able to handle the apocalypse, but until then I want it easily streetable and fun for daily driving

Quick Reply: Clutch/Trans learning