Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need opinions.. Will my built trans survive 9s

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need opinions.. Will my built trans survive 9s

Currently I've got a rpm stage 4 t56 with a zoom twin. Right now it's running mid 10s with 4.10 gears n/a. I'm going to complete the setup later this season shooting for low 9s boosted with probably 3.55s out back. I really need to decide if this current setup is a waste at that power and sell it before I grenade it... What's the most logical setup that should be used.

And before anyone says it I know autos are a way cheaper route but I have no interest in this car being an auto. Thanks for any input.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

9s won't technically be the trans killer in your situation. Its the power potential with boosted applications. Your stock 27 spline shaft will possibly be the first failure depending on how hard you are launching the car. The second failure could be the gear set. Over 700hp you are riding the line on overpowering the gearset. When you put too much power through a T56 transmission, the gears overheat and the meshing surface starts to essentially, melt down. When the surface becomes damaged it wears away very quickly resulting in gear failure. The damage ends up looking like this

Last edited by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions; 04-13-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

I've seen that on several fox t5s from my teenage years. I guess the question is are there any dependable setups for my power level that a t56 style can handle
Old 04-13-2012, 08:28 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Stryker
I've seen that on several fox t5s from my teenage years. I guess the question is are there any dependable setups for my power level that a t56 style can handle
The only manual transmission that is going to handle that kindof power is a TR6060 aka T56 Magnum. They have a much larger/stronger gearset which is capable of handling those kindof of power levels. The biggest problem with the TR6060 and T56 Magnum is they don't fit in 4th gen F-bodies very well. That is where we come in. We offer a bolt-in T56 Magnum that is also upgraded to be more reliable and shift better than the "out of the box Magnum" which is basically just a stock TR6060 that is designed for a slip yoke style driveshaft. We take a new F-body tail housing and machine it to fit on the Magnum transmission. Then we machine the mainshaft to the correct length to you can retain your current driveshaft with only swapping out the front yoke which we supply. We then machine a custom shift rail mechanism then have it heat treated to make sure it is as strong or stronger than the stock unit. On our built Magnums we micro polish all the internal parts to make them run cooler and make the transmission shift MUCH smoother. We upgrade the blocking rings to compressed carbon which works night and day better at high RPM vs the stock bronze rings. We replace the plastic fork pads with machined bronze pads to help prevent them from smashing, cracking or falling off down the road. It also tightens up the shift rail assembly. Here is a link to the thread I made for our bolt-in Magnums a while back.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...out-there.html

Let me know if you have any questions at all.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info I didn't realize that was 1000hp capable definately the direction I will be going
Old 04-13-2012, 09:14 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Stryker
Thanks for the info I didn't realize that was 1000hp capable definately the direction I will be going
No problem at all. Good luck with the build. It should be a beast!
Old 04-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
The only manual transmission that is going to handle that kindof power is a TR6060 aka T56 Magnum. They have a much larger/stronger gearset which is capable of handling those kindof of power levels. The biggest problem with the TR6060 and T56 Magnum is they don't fit in 4th gen F-bodies very well. That is where we come in. We offer a bolt-in T56 Magnum that is also upgraded to be more reliable and shift better than the "out of the box Magnum" which is basically just a stock TR6060 that is designed for a slip yoke style driveshaft. We take a new F-body tail housing and machine it to fit on the Magnum transmission. Then we machine the mainshaft to the correct length to you can retain your current driveshaft with only swapping out the front yoke which we supply. We then machine a custom shift rail mechanism then have it heat treated to make sure it is as strong or stronger than the stock unit. On our built Magnums we micro polish all the internal parts to make them run cooler and make the transmission shift MUCH smoother. We upgrade the blocking rings to compressed carbon which works night and day better at high RPM vs the stock bronze rings. We replace the plastic fork pads with machined bronze pads to help prevent them from smashing, cracking or falling off down the road. It also tightens up the shift rail assembly. Here is a link to the thread I made for our bolt-in Magnums a while back.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...out-there.html

Are there any downfalls to the 6060 retrofits that use the original t56 case that has been modified to fit the internals instead of running the magnum? Also, what clutch does the magnum require?

Last question, what would be the maximum sustainable HP/TQ on both setups?

sorry for the partial thread jack but im pretty sure these questions pertain to both our builds.

thanks
anthony
Old 04-17-2012, 09:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by azzkker
Are there any downfalls to the 6060 retrofits that use the original t56 case that has been modified to fit the internals instead of running the magnum? Also, what clutch does the magnum require?

Last question, what would be the maximum sustainable HP/TQ on both setups?

sorry for the partial thread jack but im pretty sure these questions pertain to both our builds.

thanks
anthony
Hi Anthony,

Yea there are downfalls to the converted T56s. The TR6060 main case and midplate are stronger. The main case is a full 2lbs heavier from the thicker front and rear flanges and ribbing. The TR6060 also uses larger bearings which have to be changed to the smaller T56 versions with the case conversions. I have no idea the power level that a converted T56 would handle because we don't build them that way. Our units are capable of over 1000rwhp and tq.

No hijack. You questions are definately pertainent.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
Hi Anthony,

Yea there are downfalls to the converted T56s. The TR6060 main case and midplate are stronger. The main case is a full 2lbs heavier from the thicker front and rear flanges and ribbing. The TR6060 also uses larger bearings which have to be changed to the smaller T56 versions with the case conversions. I have no idea the power level that a converted T56 would handle because we don't build them that way. Our units are capable of over 1000rwhp and tq.

No hijack. You questions are definately pertainent.

Thank you for the reply. Sounds like i better stay away from the case retrofit 6060's then as my application will be pushing the bounderies. I will be getting in touch with you very soon about what i need.

thanks
anthony

Quick Reply: Need opinions.. Will my built trans survive 9s