Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

throw out or pilot bearing bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 05:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throw out or pilot bearing bad?

I'm trying to figure out which bearing is bad and if its worth changing out without changing for a new clutch flywheel...

Fire motor up, clutch chatters, if I push the clutch down and let go, it either gets alittle quieter or goes away, then if I push it down again, once again randomly stays quiet or starts chattering noise again, and repeat with same outcome back and forth, which is bad? Is it worth pulling trans to replace?

*note,- bought from friend couple months ago, he bought from someone year before that who said they put stage 2 clutch, not sure what brand tho....

Clutch still grabs hard, what should I do, really don't have a lot of money for the best flywheel/clutch combo right now?
Old 04-18-2012, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Throw out bearing but you should replace the pilot too. Once you drop the trans you might as well replace the slave throw out bearing and pilot
Old 04-19-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with Chrysler Kid. I just had my pilot bearing go out, went ahead and changed the throw out bearing also. It's not a bank breaker and definitely worth it. If you're gonna go through the PITA of removing your trans it makes sense to do both while you're down there. Might as well go ahead and change the fluid (if its been awhile), it's A LOT easier with the trans out.

Quick Reply: throw out or pilot bearing bad?