Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

which fork pads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which fork pads?

I cant decide between the nylon or bronze fork pads.. ive searched and Im getting mixed reponses on both. What are you currently using? Is it worth the extra for the bronze or will the nylon actually last longer? Im not a hard gear banger but I dont want a reliable trans that I wont have to rebuild for at least another few years.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

From what I have been hearing and reading man, I'd go with the bronze fork pads. I'll be rebuilding my t56 probably in the next few years and will be going that way. Not a real big fan of plastic.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a box full of worn down bronze fork pads that have come off customers low mile "builds". Bronze material against the syncros wear pretty quick.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dgcustomz
I have a box full of worn down bronze fork pads that have come off customers low mile "builds". Bronze material against the syncros wear pretty quick.
Saw them myself a couple days ago; they definitely look worn compared to the nylon. Side note: Thanks for building my trans! Looking forward to banging through the gears in a couple days
Old 05-02-2012, 12:59 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

On a T56, do bronze on 5-6 and R without question.

If you're not a hamfist, stock is fine on 1-2, 3-4.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dgcustomz
Conversely I have a box with several Hundred broken stock nylon pads (and all the burned/worn gears and synchros they took with them) and zero broken bronze pads..

I guess if you repair transmissions for a living, putting nylon pads back in are a great way to get repeat business.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a better option:
Engineered plastic, Vespel. It is a thrust bearing material . It is also what the Viper TR6060 uses, so you don't have to make them and they are the correct size. What some are calling bronze are merely brass . These are NOT equal.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Conversely I have a box with several Hundred broken stock nylon pads (and all the burned/worn gears and synchros they took with them) and zero broken bronze pads..

I guess if you repair transmissions for a living, putting nylon pads back in are a great way to get repeat business.
This is a debate much like boxers or briefs, NA, N2O or forced, which clutch is best, EFI or carb and several others. I'm not sure there is a magic "right" answer but there is a "right for me" with what I do answer. Keep in mind that may not be right for you.

I don't build transmissions for a living nor do I claim to be a pro on the topic, but I agree with Mike's logic...

When I recently took my transmission apart because it was hard to shift into fifth guess what failed? The stock plastic / nylon fork pads. Those same fork pads cost me a fifth / sixth gear slider. Judging by the (lack of) wear on everything else except the other fork pads - including the sixth gear side of the slider I replaced - I shouldn't have needed to buy that part.

Just My Opinion, Your Mileage May Vary.

Last edited by gofastwclass; 05-03-2012 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-04-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoon
There is a better option:
Engineered plastic, Vespel. It is a thrust bearing material . It is also what the Viper TR6060 uses, so you don't have to make them and they are the correct size. What some are calling bronze are merely brass . These are NOT equal.
Ok I'll bite. Where does one get these vespel pads? My mopar sources list the same nylon pads for 2008-2010 vipers as the previous T56 pads.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need better sources. The Vespel pads have been in Viper production since '08 with the TR6060. They are back-servceable to T56( the same size).

Quick Reply: which fork pads?