Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

5 month old clutch gone already?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 5 month old clutch gone already?!?

when I did my 6 speed swap, I used all NEW parts, including the clutch kit. it was a stock replacement set, but my car just has l/ts and exhaust. it is basically a daily but get some weekend fun occasionally. I was driving hom yesterday and pulled out to pass a slow moving motorhome and once it got to 4500 rpm it was like I pushed in the clutch pedal. I put it into the next gear and let the clutch back out and it barely grabbed. I let it coast in neutral for a minute then put it back into gear and it was fine. I let the car cool for awhile and took it for a drive again. regular driving is normal. I even stopped and did a dig and it held it fine, until I got up to 4500 rpm in 2nd gear then it did it again. can my clutch already be burnt? I still have the receipt where it has a 1 year warranty, would this fall under a warranty claim? I mean even with some spirited driving I would expect more life than that out of it. of and btw I am on street tires, no drag radials, straight up street tires
Old 05-21-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Regular

anyone?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Could it be air in your hydraulic fluid or the fluid maybe overheating and creating the air bubbles?
Old 05-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im having VERY similar issues but i know that my slave cylinder is going out. not sure if your problem is the same but thats my issue. i can smell the clutch when its slipping.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

does it leak any oil? might have oil on the flywheel
Old 05-25-2012, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

no oil leaks I am aware of really. it did just have a massively leaky p/s pump that I just replaced. but still slips. either way I have a local friend cutting me a damn good deal on an ls7 clutch setup, and I already talked to someone at autozone who said I can bring the old one back. looks like it will all work out after all
Old 05-25-2012, 08:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good choice on the ls7 clutch!!! for now lol
Old 05-26-2012, 07:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've never heard good things about the autozone clutch lol a lot of people I see with them say theyre gone within a year especially your rwhp. If your going with a stock ls6 style clutch I think going oem luk/exedy is the way to go haha. The ls7 sounds like a good choice though make sure to update when you pull the old one out?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

haven't forgotten about this, just been waiting to get with my friend to get the clutch from him. I'm getting it at a good enough deal that I can be patient with him, but still anxious to get it done so I can actually get on it again. of course now since it has been slipping I have had all kinds of "fun" opportunities that I had to miss because of it
Old 06-15-2012, 11:58 AM
FormerVendor

When this happens does the pedal drop to the floor? If so then you most likely have an issue with the hydraulics. Replacing the clutch won't solve a hydraulic issue so be prepared to repalced the master and/or slave too.

If the pedal doesn't drop but the clutch slips it could be the result of wear or the clutch could be contaminated (hydraulic leak, RMS leak, or trans fluid leak) and this would affect its ability to hold.

Let me know more and I can assist you further. Thanks,
Old 06-15-2012, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hydraulics have nothing to do with the clutch holding, only disengaging.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ If the slave is not disengaging all the way it won't release the pressure plate therefore slipping clutch.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon5212
^^^ If the slave is not disengaging all the way it won't release the pressure plate therefore slipping clutch.
Ok that could happen after a shift but I wouldn't expect it to grip up to 4500rpm, and people are suggesting air in the system and leaks as possible problems. Those would cause the opposite problem, you wouldn't be able to get it to disengage when you push the pedal in. either way if it keeps happening I'd pull the trans to inspect the clutch and slave.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

when I did the 6 speed swap I used all new parts, master, slave, etc. and it is doing it mid gear. I can leve it in a gear and do a pull and it just flat lets go. when I do push the pedal it is kinda hard though, and when I shift intot he next gear it still doesnt grab until I disengage it for a second and let the rpms come down then I can ease the pedal out and it will grab. guess I just overpowered the stock replacement unit

Quick Reply: 5 month old clutch gone already?!?