Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

c5 vibration keeps coming back

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c5 vibration keeps coming back

History I put in a 402 ls2 tr6060 trans/rearend it had an rps twin disc clutch installed carbon driveshaft solid bushings replaced all the tq tube bearings. Car drove fine for about 7k had the car shipped from hawaii and the shipping company killed the clutch. It started vibrating pretty bad so I decided to install an rxt. Had the rxt balance and replaced the pilot bearing and input shaft. I have had it in the car about 700 miles and the vibration is back. When cruising around 2k it really is not noticeable but at idle and wot you can tell (wot is really bad). I am wondering if there is an issue with the tq tube? The run out is good and there is no visible damage to the tube. Just looking for suggestions at this point before I install the turbo kit.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:24 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ghost-1
History I put in a 402 ls2 tr6060 trans/rearend it had an rps twin disc clutch installed carbon driveshaft solid bushings replaced all the tq tube bearings. Car drove fine for about 7k had the car shipped from hawaii and the shipping company killed the clutch. It started vibrating pretty bad so I decided to install an rxt. Had the rxt balance and replaced the pilot bearing and input shaft. I have had it in the car about 700 miles and the vibration is back. When cruising around 2k it really is not noticeable but at idle and wot you can tell (wot is really bad). I am wondering if there is an issue with the tq tube? The run out is good and there is no visible damage to the tube. Just looking for suggestions at this point before I install the turbo kit.
Who's carbon prop shaft did you use & what/who's couplers did you install, who rebuilt the torque tube for you..??
Old 04-29-2012, 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EastcoastPerformance
Who's carbon prop shaft did you use & what/who's couplers did you install, who rebuilt the torque tube for you..??
Its a lg shaft from hinson and i believe they are lg couplers from hinson also. I replaced all the bearings and put the tq tube back together myself. I measured the old couplers with the new but i did not measure total drive shaft length with everything installed. The car was fine before it was shipped and probably 1k after I picked it up. it ate a pilot bearing i replaced that then the vibration came back ( bearing was in one piece). I replaced the clutch and the input and pilot and it is back again.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

little update the vibration is much less noticeable when the clutch is pushed in.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the vibration diminishes when the clutch is disengauged then that leads me to believe your problem is in the torque tube.

Solid couplers are very well known to cause vibrations in C5/C6 corvettes. I would start my investigation there.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:16 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
If the vibration diminishes when the clutch is disengauged then that leads me to believe your problem is in the torque tube.

Solid couplers are very well known to cause vibrations in C5/C6 corvettes. I would start my investigation there.
It is about to get a single 88mm turbo I am wondering if I should switch to a rubber in the front? replace all the bearings again? replace the tq tube?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend switching both couplers out for the Driveshaft Shop poly couplers. They are the best on the market. I'd give them a try. If those don't help I would try putting a stock prop shaft back in just for a test. It isn't unheard of for a carbon shaft to be out of balance.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
I would recommend switching both couplers out for the Driveshaft Shop poly couplers. They are the best on the market. I'd give them a try. If those don't help I would try putting a stock prop shaft back in just for a test. It isn't unheard of for a carbon shaft to be out of balance.
Is there a way to have them balance checked? Thing that is wierd is it did not do this in hawaii, it started after the rps clutch went south. When I installed the new RXT I had no problems untill yesterday. I would think it it was the couplers or shaft it would always be present.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Tq tube will be out tonight hopefully I can get this figured out.vibration
Old 05-02-2012, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

ok having the carbon shaft balance checked tom to see it there may be a problem with it. Then thinking about doing a c6 pilot bearing since the pilot gouged the new input shaft.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Ok I am pretty sure we found the problem we took the drive shaft out and used a dial indicator on it. It had .23 thousand's run out we moved the front input shaft 180 and now it has .3 so I replaced the pilot again and put it back together now I just need to drive it and hope it doesn't return.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:24 AM
On The Tree

Drove the car into work this morning and no more vibration at any rpm and the car just feels much smoother.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:29 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ghost-1
Drove the car into work this morning and no more vibration at any rpm and the car just feels much smoother.
LMK, if you need any further assistance, It was my pleasure speaking with you about your bad azz vette, keep it away from shipping yards... I'm glad it has cleared up, lets hope it stays that way this time...

btw, did you install a German made coupler in the front..??
Old 05-04-2012, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by EastcoastPerformance
LMK, if you need any further assistance, It was my pleasure speaking with you about your bad azz vette, keep it away from shipping yards... I'm glad it has cleared up, lets hope it stays that way this time...

btw, did you install a German made coupler in the front..??
And thank you for all your time and assistance it's nice to know there are people that truley care. I did find one at a local dealer and if it comes back I am going to that whole tq tube assembley.

Quick Reply: c5 vibration keeps coming back