Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Time for a new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for a new clutch

My stock clutch is starting to go. After WoT runs its got barely any pedal not to mention dig runs. It only has 80k but I'm not exactly the easiest on it with all the digs I do I need some opinions on the best budget clutch to handle my plans. Car has 4.10s catback/lid a few other small things. I want to do LTs. intake manifold. A pretty aggressive cam set up and a 100 shot. I know eventually Ill want even more but I wanna do a 408 FI setup paired with an auto later on when I have a decent budget. I've seen a few other threads about it but they are pretty dated and im looking for something to hold for future goals.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by GMTheOnlyWay1; 05-04-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:57 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I don't know what you mean by budget clutch, but here is my best recommendation for a solid clutch until you decide to make your swap:

Get a complete clutch kit from one of the sponsors like Tick Performance, Colorado Speed, or Maryland Speed. The kit will include good master cylinder (not a junk stock replacement that won't handle what you're trying to do), slave, flywheel, pressure plate, friction disc, pilot bearing, remote bleeder. That complete kit will run you roughly $1K shipped, but it will absolutely fix the issues and hold for a good long time.

As for which clutch - with what's listed in your sig, a monster stage 1 or 2 would be plenty. If you think you'll be putting the 408 to the T56, you might consider the stage 3, but I don't think you'll need that much clutch on your stock block. I have the S3 and love it, but when friends or family tries to drive it, they think there is something wrong with the clutch, because it's so grabby.
Old 05-05-2015, 09:00 AM

If you want to try not to spend the whole $1K, you could try a tick adjustable master cylinder, but if you still have your original clutch, chances are the pressure plate will not return the fluid to the master, which can also cause low pedal.

Now, before you say it, I'll say it - "But I can get a stock replacement for $60, and the tick is $300". Yes, you can, but after you've replaced two or three stock masters, that $300 to never do it again starts to look really cheap.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GMTheOnlyWay1
My stock clutch is starting to go. After WoT runs its got barely any pedal not to mention dig runs. It only has 80k but I'm not exactly the easiest on it with all the digs I do I need some opinions on the best budget clutch to handle my plans. Car has 4.10s catback/lid a few other small things. I want to do LTs. intake manifold. A pretty aggressive cam set up and a 100 shot. I know eventually Ill want even more but I wanna do a 408 FI setup paired with an auto later on when I have a decent budget. I've seen a few other threads about it but they are pretty dated and im looking for something to hold for future goals.

Thanks for the help.
Right now, Monster has a sale going on- $100 off instantly and Free Shipping. I live in Alabama and that saved me about $150!! Best deal I could find for any type of aftermarket clutch.

I agree that you definitely need a Tick Adjustable Clutch Mast Cylinder!! Yes, it's $300, but it's the best upgrade you can do to your car. I'll be installing my clutch kit this weekend, along with my MGW Shifter.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

For sure thank you guys. I Wasnt really wanting to spend 1k as im pretty broke at the moment but ill look around for deals and will def invest in a tick master now. Drive ability is a mild concern for me since I drive it only in nice weather etc. Thanks for the info on the sales as well. Have you guys have any luck with center force clutches?
Old 05-05-2015, 03:50 PM

Most of the big names make good clutches. If you search hard enough, you can find horror stories about any of them, I'm sure. I tend to see the most "very happy with this set up" posts with monster and mccleod.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:19 PM
Teching In

I would try the tick master cylinder first then see if you need a clutch. I didn't have any pressure and was picking my pedal up with my foot, put the tick in and fixed all my problems. I have a spec stage 2 clutch though so since you still have stock you may have to change the clutch anyway but the tick would be a good place to start. If I would've had to change mine I was going to go with the monster, everything looked good with monster clutches from the research I had done. Glad I got away without changing it though.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

For sure yeah Ill give the tick a try before anything, Im also picking the pedal up with my foot at the moment. Maybe that will give me some time to save up for a monster stg 2.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:28 PM
10 Second Club

go with a monster best product and customer service in the game
Old 05-07-2015, 09:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GMTheOnlyWay1

Thanks for the help.
Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions, or if you want to go over any details. (817) 750-2000.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just installed a lt1s twin disc with a tick master. if you have the coin
to drop on that combo, i'd certainly recommend it.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:06 PM
Banned

If you're looking for a single disc clutch, mantic CLUTCH has one of the best clutches out there. Their warranty is exceptional also but they rarely have warranty issues.

I have posted a link for the F-Body setups.

http://www.coloradospeed.com/1998200...d=610&sort=20a

The mantic Street Clutch Kit w/ ER2 [MS1001] is a killer setup on page 2

Here is more info

http://www.manticclutch.com/products...r2-ms1001.html

"Mantic Street with ERē is a clutch kit specifically designed for the performance market. It features the patented groove design, ERē which is CNC machined on the friction face of the pressure plate. Capable of transmitting greater than 60% more torque than a standard clutch kit, Mantic Street with ERē is suitable for high performance vehicles. This overall torque capacity increase has been achieved by higher clamp loads, increased Mean Effective Radius of the friction area, better cooling of the pressure plate and higher coefficient of friction materials on the clutch disc. These design innovations directly equate to higher torque capacity. The clutch disc features an organic facing ring in contact with the pressure plate and a segmented cerametallic facing on the flywheel side. The cover assembly also features a decorative and corrosion resistant finish. The kit includes bearing, pressure plate, clutch disc, flywheel and bolts. "

Note the torque rating is wrong. It is more like 600+. That needs to be corrected.

Ever since we started carrying this line of clutches, they have been selling very well. Feel free to give us a call if you are interested in the 9000 duals. We're setting up customers with killer pricing not listed on our website for the duals. If the vette guys love these clutches, then the F-Body guys will too. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Time for a new clutch