Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick Adj Master Cyl/current LS7 Clutch compatability?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tick Adj Master Cyl/current LS7 Clutch compatability?

I have ~5k miles on a new LS7 Clutch setup, new stock Master, Slave & T/O bearing and have problems shifting at higher than 4000rpm. It also has a speed bleeder installed and me and the dealer have both bled the **** out of the system without any improvement.

I did a search in this forum and found a few people who had problems with upgrading to the Tick Master Cylinder after breaking in their LS7 clutch setup with the stock master cylinder, and was wondering if this was the exception or the rule?

So my question is: Have any of you currently running the LS7 setup cure your shifting problems by upgrading to a Tick Adj MS? Thanks in advance for your help.

Nick
Old 05-06-2012, 01:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NCal
I have ~5k miles on a new LS7 Clutch setup, new stock Master, Slave & T/O bearing and have problems shifting at higher than 4000rpm. It also has a speed bleeder installed and me and the dealer have both bled the **** out of the system without any improvement.

I did a search in this forum and found a few people who had problems with upgrading to the Tick Master Cylinder after breaking in their LS7 clutch setup with the stock master cylinder, and was wondering if this was the exception or the rule?
From my experience its not common, I recently read about someone having problems but I had an LS7 clutch before the tick MC & did not have that problem.
So my question is: Have any of you currently running the LS7 setup cure your shifting problems by upgrading to a Tick Adj MS? Thanks in advance for your help.

Nick
The Tick MC works great but if its hot out or after a track pass my pedal still gets wierd. I always thought it was because of the heat buildup in the bellhousing. After reading this it makes perfect sense. https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ur-clutch.html
Very good read.

This is the biggest problem IMO. The bellhousing needs to be vented.

-Open front of the bell housing by removing the plastic panels
There are 2 black plastic panels that cover the front side of the bell housing. The driver side has a small 3” panel held in place by 1-10mm bolt. The passenger side panel surrounds where the starter engages the flywheel. Disconnect battery, remove the 2- 15mm bolts and push the starter forward enough to pull out plastic panel. Before you reinstall the starter you can benefit from this wide open space. Check out the next step, Compressed air.

Total time will be between 10min and 1hr depending on stock exhaust manifold or headers and adjoining piping and space restraints and if on a lift or on the ground.

I would imagine that the panels were put in there to keep things from getting into the bell housing but the irony could be what was meant to protect the clutch hurt the longevity of it. The Driver side is shielded by the oil filter and the starter on the passenger side. It is quite amazing the amount of air moved by the clutch at idle from the “exhaust” ports of the bell housing, imagine what it would be in CFM@155mph 7k rpm. Ever heard of Smokey Yunicks flywheel supercharger?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Default Read the link..

Thanks for your response, Flint. Very interesting read. Makes sense, but heat or contamination doesn't seem to be my problem (yet?). I'll definately look into venting the BH once I get the shifting issues resolved. My problem is the basic "blocked out of 2nd & 3rd gear during quick or high RPM shifting".

I'd had this shifting problem about every 2 years, but the Ranger clutch fluid swap/bleed usually fixed it, until about a year ago that is. So I installed the LS7 Clutch package, new MS, Slave & T/O bearing to cure it. New everything. When the problem persisted, I figured that I just got a weak stock master cylinder and wanted to upgrade it to the Tick adjustable MS. But while researching the Tick (via search), I came across 1 or 2 people who had issues between the LS7 pressure plate and the Tick adj MS. What I couldn't find was anyone specifying that they had a broken-in LS7 PP and installed the Tick to successfully cure their shifting issues.

I spoke to Chris at Tick about this over the phone. He said that he hadn't heard of any compatability issues between the LS7 adjustable PP and their adjustable master cylinder. I'm hoping to hear from people like you with the LS7 package who have installed the Tick and cured their shifting problems. I want to count the success' vs the failures to see what the odds are. If nothing else, this will help others decide if the LS7 clutch package is for them.

Thanks again for your response, Flint. Anyone else with a previously installed LS7 clutch package successfully use the Tick adj MS to cure their shifting problems?

TIA

Nick
Old 05-06-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for your response, Flint. Very interesting read. Makes sense, but heat or contamination doesn't seem to be my problem (yet?). I'll definately look into venting the BH once I get the shifting issues resolved. My problem is the basic "blocked out of 2nd & 3rd gear during quick or high RPM shifting".

I'd had this shifting problem about every 2 years, but the Ranger clutch fluid swap/bleed usually fixed it, until about a year ago that is. So I installed the LS7 Clutch package, new MS, Slave & T/O bearing to cure it. New everything. When the problem persisted, I figured that I just got a weak stock master cylinder and wanted to upgrade it to the Tick adjustable MS. But while researching the Tick (via search), I came across 1 or 2 people who had issues between the LS7 pressure plate and the Tick adj MS. What I couldn't find was anyone specifying that they had a broken-in LS7 PP and installed the Tick to successfully cure their shifting issues.

I spoke to Chris at Tick about this over the phone. He said that he hadn't heard of any compatability issues between the LS7 adjustable PP and their adjustable master cylinder. I'm hoping to hear from people like you with the LS7 package who have installed the Tick and cured their shifting problems. I want to count the success' vs the failures to see what the odds are. If nothing else, this will help others decide if the LS7 clutch package is for them.

Thanks again for your response, Flint. Anyone else with a previously installed LS7 clutch package successfully use the Tick adj MS to cure their shifting problems?

TIA

Nick
The time I had the LS7 clutch in the car it worked great & for a stock style clutch it can take a lot of abuse. Now I am making over 400whp & I can tell it was slipping a lil under hard launches. I had to get a QT bellhousing so I went with the Monster 3 while I had it apart. From my experience running the car hard theres no doubt a lack of ventilation in the bellhousing causes shifting issues from boiling clutch fluid. Still, ease of shifting did greatly improve by adding the Tick MC. I am confident mine will shift like it should this year just because the bell isnt tightly sealed off like it was before. Time will tell.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in the process of purchasing an LS7 kit...and thinking about getting the TMC..

havent decided yet.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I run a LS7 and a tick master with no issues. I really like the setup because it drives just like stock but holds the power. Before I had the LS7 installed, I had a monster for a few months with the tick master and hated it.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 67SS&99SS
I run a LS7 and a tick master with no issues. I really like the setup because it drives just like stock but holds the power. Before I had the LS7 installed, I had a monster for a few months with the tick master and hated it.
67SS&99SS, was the LS7 PP broken in with the stock master cylinder before installing the Tick? Because it sounds like you had the Tick installed before the LS7 PP so that the LS7 was broken in with the Tick and not the stock MC.

Nick
Old 05-07-2012, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

67SS&99SS, was the LS7 PP broken in with the stock master cylinder before installing the Tick? Because it sounds like you had the Tick installed before the LS7 PP so that the LS7 was broken in with the Tick and not the stock MC.

Nick
Yea, I had the tick already installed when I had the monster changed out for the LS7. I didn't have any issues.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nick,

I have a LS7 clutch setup that was broken in before I installed the Tick MC. I did an M6 swap and put all of it in at the same time (my swap came with a broken in LS7 clutch, but I bought a Tick MC to replace the stock master I received in the swap). Because this is my first experience with a manual in these cars, I can't comment on how it should shift, but I have noticed some difficulty shifting from 1st-->2nd at high rpms. It feels like I am locked in gear and have to pull the shifter hard to get it out of gear. I too noticed some people commenting on how it was the adjustable pressure plate on the LS7 not being broken in on the Tick I was running, so I just bought a Monster Level 2 and will be receiving it in a few days. I will post up results after install/break in and report back if it cured anything. I am also dealing with a few other gremlins with the car, so don't hold your breath on the install being this week or anything, but I will post back and let you know. I just have a security light that's on and needs taken care of first
Old 05-07-2012, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hmmm?...im on a LS6 clutch that came with the car when i bought it off someone on this site....2 almost 3 years ago...I think

I have always had the problem of loosing all clutch pressure if i do i burnout...so i just dont do that.....but sometimes it is fun.

and also noticed that when shifting from High rpm's like if i was racing someone, ...when i go to shift from 1st to 2nd ....it comes out of 1st but will not go into second. ..like there is no clutch...til i slow down the rpm's and concentrate on the shift.

very embarrassing!!!!!!

having TO bearing problems and wanting to order an LS7 clutch and TMC but GD! so im still gonna have problems?

its almost better to have a built auto and be done with it!..jeez!
Old 05-08-2012, 12:29 AM
Teching In

Default Thanks for the replys guys

Mac: even brand new the clutch system in these cars is barely adequate. All it takes is something to get a little worn and you get the kind of shift problems you describe. Normally, the Tick MC solves most of these problems. So far Flint is the only person who's had success adding the Tick MC to his LS7clutch setup. I really thought that there would be more success stories out there but it's not turning out that way.
Do let us know if the Monster 2 solves your shifting problems.

Stroked: from everything I've read, if you install the Tick MC at the same time as a new LS7 clutch package you shouldn't have any problems. It's only when the LS7 PP is broken in with a stock MC that switching to the Tick causes problems (so it seems).
That being said, if I was searching for a new clutch set for my car it wouldn't be the LS7. I mean, not being able to upgrade from the stock GM POS MC is one big-*** limitation in my book, especially with the hit and miss quality of the stock GM units.

Unless I hear from more people who cured their shifting problems by adding the Tick MC to their current LS7 clutch setup I'm gonna pull that LS7 **** out of my car and go with a Monster or Diamond clutch package. I'm tired of having a performance car that I can't race. Hell, I can shift faster in my '81 Jeep.

Nick
Old 10-09-2012, 10:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mac: even brand new the clutch system in these cars is barely adequate. All it takes is something to get a little worn and you get the kind of shift problems you describe. Normally, the Tick MC solves most of these problems. So far Flint is the only person who's had success adding the Tick MC to his LS7clutch setup. I really thought that there would be more success stories out there but it's not turning out that way.
Do let us know if the Monster 2 solves your shifting problems.
Better late than never. I installed a Monster Lvl 2 back in the summer and it cured my shifting problems It was the LS7 broken in on a stock master that didn't like the Tick I put in it.

Quick Reply: Tick Adj Master Cyl/current LS7 Clutch compatability?