Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clunking/ clanking tranny?? every gear except one.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 02:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation clunking/ clanking tranny?? every gear except one.....

as the title states.. i have a clunking /clanking sound coming from right under me.. it will do it in every single gear from 1st thru 3rd and 5-6th.. fourth gear is smooooooooth.. if i have in neutral at any speed it makes no sound at all.. only when u start moving.. it would sound as if i had a stick wrapped around my driveshaft and it would hit something metal.. it getting harsh enough that if i open my door (tried it late at night) i can hear the clanking sound directly under me.. its way more noticible 1st thru 3rd.. 5th - 6th u can feel it in the shifter more than u can heat it.. i took it to a trans. shop.. the owner rode with me and said it might be a "broken" gear.. but that he coukdnt be sure without looking inside the tranny..
if i have my car in neutral i can feel and kinda hear something inside the tranny.. once i press the clutch pedal it stops.. let it go, starts again..
and since reverse pops out well im really considering an overhaul at this moment.. any opinions?

thanks..
Old 05-07-2012, 09:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

It is smooth in 4th because that is the only gear that doesnt utilize the full gear set. So when you are in 1-3 and 5-6 your gears are working together hence the reason you are hearing it in all gears except 4th. 4th is kinda solo if you want to look at it that way. The bad news, you are going to have to get it rebuilt, unfortantley it probably isnt going to be cheap. The more you drive it the more damage that is subject to happen. If you have broken teeth on a gear, not only could the teeth be flying around inside the trans awaiting their destiantion between two teeth causing destruction, but, having missing teeth puts more stress on the other teeth which makes them more prone to break. We spealize in T56 rebuilds. Check out the link below hopefully we could help you out and get your trans rebuilt for you!

http://www.tickperformance.com/1993-...camaro-trans-am/
Old 05-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

thank you..
i was hoping for the best but expecting the worst.. so it doesnt hit me as a big surprise.. yeah unfortunately it wont be cheap AT ALL.. thanks again..

Quick Reply: clunking/ clanking tranny?? every gear except one.....