Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Lt1 clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 clutch problem

On my way home today, I ran into a problem rolling into my driveway. I was in 4th and as I downshifted into 3rd I heard and felt a "pop" in the clutch pedal. This resulted in the pedal becoming stuck in the released position. So I pulled the trans out of gear and coasted into my drive way. As the car was idling in neutral I tried to press the clutch pedal in, when I did this I heard a metal on metal grinding sound followed by the engine eventualy stalling. With the car off, the trans still shifts through all the gears fine. Just the pedal is stuck in the released position.

Throwout Bearing? I kind of get the feeling I should replace the whole clutch.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the same problem with my '97. Actually just today the engine is now locked with the pedal in the realease position.

This is the second time that this has happened. It is the throwout bearing, it's lip is bent and slides through the clutch fork jamming into the pressure plate fingers. The issue is in the hydraulic system.

I have been plagued with clutch issues since I got the car. I had a transmission place work on it the last 4 times and they are stumped. I was going through clutches almost every month and a half, I actually had to replace the flywheel because they resurfaced it too many times.

I am personally going to replace the clutch, and the hydraulic system completely. I will keep you posted if I solve mine before you or please post on what you find!