Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Rebuilt tranny then 2 broken mainshafts after?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 03:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt tranny then 2 broken mainshafts after?

My tranny was starting to take a dump on me so it was about time for a rebuild. Well after the rebuild less than a week later I go to the track and the first pass I can't even get off the line. BOOM! The main shaft broke. Im pissed about this because I thought the point of rebuilding and beefing up a tranny is to stop this from happening. The main shaft isn't under warranty from the builder so I had to come out of $700 dollars to fix that after I just paid 2 grand to rebuild the transmission in the first place.

That leads me to tonight. I was just doing a little spirited driving and having fun. I take off from a 25 mph roll then I hit second and BOOM! again WTF!? Same exact thing as the first time, no matter what gear I put it in nothing happens, I can't go nowhere.

So my question is, do I just have the worst damn luck or does the builder suck? I just don't see how that happens twice in such a short period of time when, from what I've read, t56 main shafts are fairly strong. Is there something that could be causing this to fail or what?

My car is only making 39x/39x so its not like I'm making ridiculous power. I also have a GMM rip shift if that makes any difference.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Where is the shaft breaking? It's pretty hard to mis-build so that the shaft is the weak link, more likely something is binding up under load and snapping the output.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Banned

Sounds like your yoke on the driveshaft is twisted not allowing it to compress properly into the tail housing and thus putting it into a major bind. Hate to say it but unless your builder installed it and over looked the yoke being messes up, that's not really his obligation to repair anything out of pocket.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:23 PM
12 Second Club

Time for an upgraded ms.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Let's see some pics of where the shaft is breaking.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt tranny then 2 broken mainshafts after?