Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

bearing growl or metal noise - don't think it's slave cylinder, mild shifting issues

Old 05-16-2012, 01:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bearing growl or metal noise - don't think it's slave cylinder, mild shifting issues

I thought I had my system all worked out. I have 15k on my rebuilt T56, 10k on my Diamond Stage 2 clutch, 7k on my Tick master, and 5k on my GM slave cylinder. I checked the fluid 3k miles ago. The past few days I've been having shifting issues, mainly just getting it to go into 1st (or any gear) when sitting still. Once I'm moving it shifts okay for the most part.

What I notice is that when I press the clutch in with the car in N, there is no noise at all from the clutch/transmission area. As soon as I put it into any gear I get a mild "grrRrrRRrrRrr" sound, which continues regardless of the gear or N, until I let go of the clutch and then it completely stops.

If it were the clutch release bearing wouldn't it make noise all the time with the clutch in? Any other ideas? Would a pilot bearing only make noise sometimes? Pressure plate? Bearings in the transmission?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Flush/bleed the clutch hydraulics. Has the fluid level changed in the clutch master reservoir?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:47 AM
FormerVendor

Lots of things can affect clutch release but your discription of the sound makes me question the condition of the pilot bearing. If the pilot were bad it would cause a grind/moan much like what you seem to relay. The down side of this issue is that you are going to have to pull the transmission to check the conditon of the pilot and input-shaft. If you have other questions let me know and I will be happy to assist you. Thanks!!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Teching In

i agree with spec-01. had the same issues and it turned out to be the pilot bearing. dropped the trans and it was completely destroyed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bearing growl or metal noise - don't think it's slave cylinder, mild shifting issues