Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny filling

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 01:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny filling

Ok so after draining my tranny fluid and not really wanting to go through the hassle of taking the center console apart to get to the shifter and to fill the tranny. So after trying to find something to use under the car to fill the tranny and I came across an idea that worked really well. Using a yard sprayer..that's right, the thing you use to spray the weeds and bugs around your house. Just don't use it again around the yard without cleaning it good. Just fill it up, pump it up and stick the sprayer tube/nozzle into the fill hole on the tranny and let it go. I filled my tranny in no time with minimal effort. Just thought this might help some lazy innovative person like myself that doesn't want to go through the hassle of taking the center console apart.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that works, and a hand pump fluid pump, or midy vac. Or even a long *** tube in the engine bay, will run downhill slowly into the trans fill if you dont let it sag and loop lower the the hole. Ive seen someone with 2 people do that. Down side is when its full you have 6 feet of hose to drain out down by the trans. Or with a hand pump, or yard sprayer is a mess to store till next time your gona use it just for fill the trans again. You can get the cheap fluid pumps form autozone for like $5 use it once then thow it out, not even worth the time to clean out the lines, once then get fuild in them they don't stay on the pump that well too, and come off and you pump fluid all over you

I had my shifter out and did this, worked out well. Just put a funnel in the little hose and pour it right in. And the wipe the funnel out

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...nside-car.html
Old 05-22-2012, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

This works great! I found it quickly after my first attempt at filling through the fill port.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by studderin
that works, and a hand pump fluid pump, or midy vac. Or even a long *** tube in the engine bay, will run downhill slowly into the trans fill if you dont let it sag and loop lower the the hole. Ive seen someone with 2 people do that. Down side is when its full you have 6 feet of hose to drain out down by the trans. Or with a hand pump, or yard sprayer is a mess to store till next time your gona use it just for fill the trans again. You can get the cheap fluid pumps form autozone for like $5 use it once then thow it out, not even worth the time to clean out the lines, once then get fuild in them they don't stay on the pump that well too, and come off and you pump fluid all over you

I had my shifter out and did this, worked out well. Just put a funnel in the little hose and pour it right in. And the wipe the funnel out

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...nside-car.html
Was it basically just drilling a hole into the shift plate and installing a hose fitting to jut fill it? The yard sprayer worked well for me because I had plenty of them laying around, so it wasn't a big deal to out fluid through it. I'll probably hang onto it for future usage too so that way I'm not spending 5 bucks every time I want to put fluid in. I know it won't be often but 5 bucks saved could still get me another 20-25 miles in my gas tank

Quick Reply: Tranny filling