Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Help Diagnosing Clutch issues...

Old 05-24-2012, 10:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help Diagnosing Clutch issues...

My clutch has been acting weird lately, with the pedal sticking to the floor, and not letting me out of gear, etc... I thought if I changed the fluid(stock – 32k miles) I would be okay, but I noticed a new symptom last week – clutch creep. I define clutch creep as holding the clutch to the floor with the shifter in gear(like at a red light) and the car will slowly start moving, meaning the clutch is slowly engaging, meaning the clutch hydraulics are loosing pressure somewhere.

Could old/bad/air entrained fluid cause this, or should I not waste my time bleeding the system first and go straight to replacing the Master cylinder to a 01+ version? The next step would be a new slave, and while there, a new clutch which is much $$$...
Old 05-24-2012, 11:47 AM
FormerVendor

If you are seeing creep with the pedal depressed then it is likely that you are seeing bleed-by within the slave or master. You can certainly try to flush and refill the hydraulic fluid and see if that helps as air can cause issues with the way the fluid pressure is applied and this will affect clutch release...but you may very well need a new slave or master. Are you seeing any evidence of leaks under the car or on the fire-wall?
Old 05-24-2012, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

No leaks anywhere that I can see. I really hope it is the fluid, or worse case, the master, as I really dont want to put a clutch in a 32K mile car. Granted I understand that parts on the car are now 13 years old, but still...
Old 05-24-2012, 12:14 PM
FormerVendor

I understand! If the fluid is dark or discolored then flush and refill first and see how it goes from there.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

Ok, I will do that this weekend and report back after the holiday. Thanks Jeremy!
Old 05-24-2012, 12:39 PM
On The Tree

I replaced my slave and didn't bother with the clutch at all since it was giving me no trouble. It's not a given that you have to replace the clutch while your replacing the slave. I figured it give me practice for when I had to replace the clutch. I was actually surprised at how easy it was to drop the tranny while leaving the bell housing installed. I had more trouble trying to get the center console off for the first time than anything else. Good luck with your issue!
Old 05-25-2012, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

I have the exact same problem. I just changed my clutch master with an 01-02 unit from GM. My car creeps a little in first and is a chore to get the gears in. I've bled and bled and bled with no success. I'm getting a new stage 2 Monster and new slave. I will kepp you posted if you havent taken care of yours. Good luck man!
Old 06-04-2012, 06:06 AM
On The Tree

I spent yesterday under the car and replaced the coolant, brake fluid, and clutch fluid(all original fluids). The clutch fluid change improved the pedal sticking/creep situation by about 80%, so it doesn’t do it nearly as often, but is still doing it on occasion. Hopefully it will buy me some time until I have to start replacing parts. I replaced the brake and clutch fluid with Amsoil Series 600 DOT 4.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Well, after some more miles and stoplights, it appears the problem is the same as it ever was. I have determined that the pedal will only hang up if I am feathering the clutch, like when I am taking off slowly from a stoplight, or downshifting and slowly letting the clutch out to absorb the drivetrain shock. If I take off more aggressively, it doesn’t do it. It’s really bad when I am trying to back up my driveway to put the car in the garage. By the time I get into the garage, I have lost all control of the disengagement of the clutch, and am essentially riding the brakes until the car is in position to turn it off.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to add my 2002 (which comes with a LS6 clutch stock) had like 35k on it and after doing Lid, Headers and Cat back, had the same issues. Pedal crash under wot. My slave was messed up and I could not bleed it so decided to just do the clutch at same time.

The PP and flywheel showed multiple hot spots and basically was done. I bought the car at 30k and it was bone stock. Girl daily driven so to be expected.

We with a GM slave, Tex clutch, and tick perf master and been fine ever since.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tick Master FTW. Just put one in mine along with a Monster stage 2. Butter sauce now and no more sticking clutch pedal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help Diagnosing Clutch issues...