Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

cant get into gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant get into gear

i got a 2000 z28 with t56 and i just installed the transmission on a centerforce 2 clutch. however i cannot get it into gear. i bled the clutch which went pretty fast and easy. im starting to think maybe its not entirely bled, but the pedal feels ok. i used the pump, hold pedal to floor. open bleed valve then close, release pedal and repeat. did this maybe 5 cycles. now when the car is running i push the clitch pedal down all the way and cant get the shifter into gear. i get grinding just as if the clutch is not disengageing. i get that in all gears and cant even get it into reverse while running. but i can get into reverse if the engine is off. but it feels like im not getting into gear all the way even with the engine off. any ideas? also is it possible to adjust the shift linkage without pulling the transmission again? any help is appreciated.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Maybe a bad master cyl? I have heard that will cause this problem.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Pump the **** outta the clutch pedal... typically its 50 plus radid pumps!!! Also, you might just need an adjustable master cylinder? Try smashing the clutch pedal all the way to the floor and force the shifter into gear, if it grinds into gear, clutch isn't traveling enough to disengage thus adj. master needed.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:34 PM
Teching In

Ok Jus checked it out. I havent rebled it. Vut I cant get it to go into gear even with tg car not running. I got it to click into 3rd n 4th with minimal pressure while the car was rolling down th driveway but cant get in 1st or 2nd. With or without using the clutch. Its like the shifter wont go all the way forward. With out without clutch car on or off. with e brake on and with the car rolling down the driveway. I can feel the.clutch release when I put it into 4th n it goes. But when th car isnt running shouldnt it go thru the gears,every gear without using the clutch? Is this a tranny issue? Any help guys
Old 05-28-2012, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Jus drove it around th block and it will shift into all the gears sometimes. 4th has no issues but all th rest are sketchy. But I can actualy get into every gear as im driving with playing with it a little. I notice when im down shifting it goes into 1st 2nd n 3rd with a little force. Just not when im shifting up. But now its in my driveway and the shifter is in neutral but the car is in gear. No idea which gear but I cant let go of the clutch or it tries to take off on me. Any ideas? Deffinatly a Trans issue? What do u guys think?
Old 05-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Anyone got any ideas?

Quick Reply: cant get into gear