Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 swap parts, best place to find?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 swap parts, best place to find?

I am currently rebuilding the engine in my 98 z28 A4. I have recently come across a t56, for a price that i could not pass up. I can either sell it, or put in in my 98. I really want to swap in the 6 speed. But where can all these parts be found... yes i know, junkyards, classifieds, craigslist... etc... but are there any online stores or sites that specify in salvage and swap parts? I pretty much would need everything... the t56 came with the bell housing, but it was from an 04 GTO, and i have read that it could hit the starter. I have always wanted the 6 speed so im really pushing for this. Do they sell all the parts OEM? I would need the bell housing, pedals, console, hydraulics, cross member, driveshaft, etc. Any input is appreciated.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm in the middle of the swap now and its not bad just time consuming because I wanna make sure everything is right. I got all my parts at one time but its relatively easy to piece a kit together also. MOst of the parts can be found here in the classifieds or in a junkyard from a v6 car.
You need:
center console plate
clutch
M/C
Slave
Torque arm mount
Trans crossmember for t56
pedals
lower shift boot
The center console plate and torque arm mount as well as the pedals can be had from any fbody with a manual I got mine from a 98 v6 car.

The m/c clutch and slave should all be bought new and you have your own options there.

The torque arm mount again can be had from a v6 car. The trans cross member must be off of an fbody t56 to fit properly. And the lower boot can either be oem from a t56 or t5 (will need to be cut) or can be bought aftermarket.

As I said most of these parts can be found here or on ebay so you just have to look
Old 05-31-2012, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Thanks a bunch, i just dont want it to take forever... i would like to drive it this summer.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will also either need to swap a M6 engine harness in and have the PCM flashed to a 6-speed tune or modify your stock A4 harness & get the PCM flashed. Only way to avoid the PCM flash is to pick up a stock M6 PCM.

I'm lookin at goin M6-A4 this winter.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fast98Z
I am currently rebuilding the engine in my 98 z28 A4. I have recently come across a t56, for a price that i could not pass up. I can either sell it, or put in in my 98. I really want to swap in the 6 speed. But where can all these parts be found... yes i know, junkyards, classifieds, craigslist... etc... but are there any online stores or sites that specify in salvage and swap parts? I pretty much would need everything... the t56 came with the bell housing, but it was from an 04 GTO, and i have read that it could hit the starter. I have always wanted the 6 speed so im really pushing for this. Do they sell all the parts OEM? I would need the bell housing, pedals, console, hydraulics, cross member, driveshaft, etc. Any input is appreciated.
if u decide to not swap, you can sell it to me
Old 06-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Launching!

www.hawksthirdgenparts.com
Old 06-06-2012, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah hawksthirdgen.com is an awesome website. i got alot of stuff from there. Its f-body heaven.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but if you want to swap it in your fbody you have to switch the tail housing and shifter from a fbody t56.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no just the shifter and shifter cup need to be changed but if he wants to use the gtop bellhousing he will need the new style smaller starter. and I did my swap in just under a week but right now im having a helluva time getting all the air out of the hydraulics.

Quick Reply: t56 swap parts, best place to find?