Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Aftermarket shifters

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 03:27 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've got the stock shifter in my 97 z28 30th anniversary M6, and I threw on a WS6store short stick and white Hurst ****. It's not bad, but my car didn't even come with the Hurst shifter so I know it can be leaps and bounds better.

There's quite a few options out there, and I know MGW is like the "holy grail" of shifters, well at $210 it better be lol

So with all the options out there.... are there any shifters that would be great other than the pro 5.0 or MGW? There's the Hurst billet plus, B&M Ripper, Fidanza, RPMspeed, 5.0, MGW, maybe some others I don't know about.

Right now I could get a brand new Hurst billet plus with a chrome short stick and white **** for around $120, but this is something I only want to upgrade once. So if it's really worth the extra money, I want to get a great one.

The thing that sucks is the MGW shifters come bare too xD.. I already have a **** I could use, but do you need to buy a short stick to use on the MGW or does it come ready to go pretty much?

And do only certain sticks fit the MGW or would my WS6store stick fit it?
Old 06-06-2012, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a pro5.0 and I like it. The mgw comes with everything needed except a ****. If it were me I would probably get the rpmspeed from ws6store because its identical to the b&m and a fourth the cost.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the hurst on my car with the short stick and couldnt complain really. I did have some drivetrain noise but with my exhaust i could barely hear it. Never missed a gear with it, good feel and precise to me. I know people are not huge fans of them but i liked it. MGW is excellent Pro 5.0(if you get the 5.0 you need a angled short stick) is not bad at all either. Anything compared to stock really is better. Ive even done what you did, short stick on stock shifter but that would hit the center console sometimes and immediatly purchased a hurst for cheap.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Launching!

Yeah same here, 2nd gear bumps the center console sometimes and leaves very little room for my hand.

I don't mind buying a MGW if it's really going to be a world apart from all the other shifters, but if there is a shifter out there that works great with a nice action and only costs $75, I'm down for that.

As it is I don't even have the Hurst in my car, just the bottom of the barrel factory shifter with the short stick and **** and it's not horrible. I very rarely miss gears with it, but it does slow your shifts down a bit having to be more careful to force it into gear when it feels like it's hitting that wall before it goes in.

So if some guys could chime in who have owned a MGW, and even better who have owned some of the other brands and maybe switched to a MGW after that would rock. I just want to put my money in the right places.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

To me the shifter is one of the most important things you can change on a car since its going to be used often to say the least. Ive used B&M, Pro 5.0 and Hurst. On my C5 Z06 believe it or not im gonna buy a Fidanza Short Shifter, its cheap and read a good review about it. Fact is almost anything is going to be better then the stock shifter, most will tell you the MGW is an excellent shifter so there wont be any news or suprises there. If your looking for cheap, great feel and gets the job done Hurst is great. Thats just my opinion. Just give it some time and definitly more people will chime in. Goodluck with whatever you pick.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a mgw im happy with it
Old 06-07-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ordered myself an MGW due to the good reviews here.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:48 AM
Launching!

Nice, keep em coming! MGW is definitely on my wish list, anyone else got a different shifter they're really happy with? I would love to be surprised by one of the underdogs lol

There's a Hurst Comp/plus shifter with a nice 6" hurst chrome short stick and white hurst **** for $150. Now it looks like the stick goes through the big bottom plate, and there's a round end to pop into something. Is this the whole shifter unit? Is this a good deal and would it be a good upgrade?

Still don't know and haven't heard anything about other shifters than the 5.0 and MGW really.. like what about the Hurst, B&M ripper, Fidanza, RPM speed ect..
Old 06-08-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my Pro 5.0 off ebay for $50 and even @ $150 I would still consider it a worthy mod. I'm disappointed I never did it on my TA, and more so that it took me so long now on my Hawk. The engagement is much more of a precise feel and not sloppy like stock shifters or even the stock Hurst equipped cars. 2-3 shift is much easier. I have a Lou's short stick with leather wrapped H **** as well, so I'm completely happy with my setup.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:18 PM
Launching!

There's a B&M ripper for 150 I might be able to get him down to 100... this Hurst comp is the best deal though it comes loaded with chrome short stick and **** for 150 or bare for 100 and i can use my existing stick/**** from ws6store.

Just need to know if this Hurst comp is any good, and make sure it isn't just the Hurst that came on the SS/WS6 cars.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:32 AM
Staging Lane

i have the b&m ripper with a round **** from hawks third gen parts. i lile it, but never have driven a 4th gen with the stock shifter
Old 06-09-2012, 04:53 AM
Launching!

Nice.. yeah it's hard to know which one to choose for the feel I want. I think pretty much any aftermarket shifter is going to be an upgrade as far as getting a good positive shift with less slop. I just want to hear it from the horses mouth, guys who went from stock or from 1 aftermarket to the other and felt the improvement.

I'm still dying to know about this Hurst comp shifter, someone has to have used one... hoping it's not just the one that came in the Hurst cars but I don't think it is.

Google and the search function on here don't work for **** when searching about shifters Can't believe after 20 years of 4th gen T56's there isn't any good information comparing aftermarket shifters.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive driven cars with:

B&M Ripper
Pro 5.0
Pro 5.0/Lous Short Stick (Wife's current shifter)
Stock Hurst
Stock Hurst/WS.6 Store 6" stick

Out of all of them, I personally like the stock Hurst/WS6Store 6" stick, and the Pro 5.0 w/Lous. Ive abused both these setup and didnt run in to any issues at all. Even the WS6Store stick alont on the stock Hurst was a night and day difference over the bushed factory stick.

I didnt much care for the Ripper. It didnt have a removeable stick, and it felt way to tall, especially after driving with the 6" stick for a while. The throws felt longer as well, most likely due to the longer stick.

Just my .02
Old 06-09-2012, 10:04 PM
BashamWS6 Troll Account

Pro 5.0 is ehh. I want a mgw. From what I heard, they blow pro 5.0 out of the water. But I love the angle and length of lous short stick... No homo
Old 06-09-2012, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
Ive driven cars with:

B&M Ripper
Pro 5.0
Pro 5.0/Lous Short Stick (Wife's current shifter)
Stock Hurst
Stock Hurst/WS.6 Store 6" stick

Out of all of them, I personally like the stock Hurst/WS6Store 6" stick, and the Pro 5.0 w/Lous. Ive abused both these setup and didnt run in to any issues at all. Even the WS6Store stick alont on the stock Hurst was a night and day difference over the bushed factory stick.

I didnt much care for the Ripper. It didnt have a removeable stick, and it felt way to tall, especially after driving with the 6" stick for a while. The throws felt longer as well, most likely due to the longer stick.

Just my .02
I have the stock hurst with the ws6store stick and I absolutely love it. Shifts feel extremely crisp and quick.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Launching!

So the stick on the B&M ripper isn't changable? I happened across a crazy deal and just bought one brand new for $100 shipped!

Saw nothing but good reviews on it, but it was the price that got me, I couldn't turn down a brand new ripper for 100 shipped!
Old 06-11-2012, 02:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wel you wnt be able to use your WS6short stick. You cnt remove the stick on it like the rest of the shifters(I dnt think MGW cam be changed either... not sure... Maybe someone can chime in) I myself have a factory Hurst with the UMI short stick... And im happy with it... Idl why everyone Knocks it... Ppl say they miss 2-3... Thats driver error fellas... And yes I've drove my buddy T/A with Hurat Billet plus+WS6 short stick and it IS a nice shifter. Lil notchy. But positive shifts. But I wouldn't put one on my car unless it was free... I never miss my gears... Stock Hurst+UMI short stick is perfect. My opinion for what it's worth. I know u can grab one dirt cheap in the classified seeing how 99.9% ppl dislike them.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Launching!

IF I went with a Hurst it would be this Comp one, but still haven't heard any information about them... it would only be 100 for the shifter, or 130 loaded with a chrome/flat hurst engraved short stick and hurst engraved white ****.

bought that B&M ripper but after seeing the pictures he had in his ad I think he fucked up, the box is for the B&M and the part number is correct, but he later posted a picture of what looked to be the stock Hurst shifter so I might have to get my money back
Old 06-12-2012, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am running a modified B&M Ripper and love it. It is the older style though. I took and threaded about 2 more inches from the factory threads and cut the top most 2 inches off. So it shortened it WAY down, along with the shorter throw it feels great.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

The hurst kit your referring to is just the stock hurst that was offered in f-bodies from the factory. It's not bad. I may have gotten it if I had know about it before I got my pro 5.0 just b/c I like the Chrome hurst stick. It's a good value too. But I got my pro 5.0 used for a pretty good deal and it is way better than my stock hurst was. But my stock hurst was very worn. If I was going to out right pay full price for a new one I would probably get the mgw or another pro 5.0

Quick Reply: Aftermarket shifters