Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Reverse bleeding master cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 06:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse bleeding master cylinder?

I just put a new master cylinder in. Bleeding it the conventional way is not working. The mighty vac I have borrowed does not have a big enough fitting to fit over my bleeder vaulve.

I was told that I could take a 3/8's hose put that over the bleeder vaulve and run the other end into a bottle of fluid. Then put the mighty vac small fitting I have in the hole in the resevoir and reverse bleed it like that.

Just wondering if anyone has done that.

It only took 40 minutes to change the master cylinder...bleeding it is causing me to want to harm innocent people.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:39 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

copy pasta:

Originally Posted by jmd
The mityvac pulling from the reservoir means it ultimately pulls from the bottom of the slave and never pulls all air. Search for jmd method if you want all air out.
Originally Posted by jmd
I've never needed a MityVac to bleed an LS1 car. Put the MityVac on the shelf and use the JMD Method
Old 06-07-2012, 06:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this method honestly makes the most sense to jmd. But i really cant figure out how to get it right lol now before I sound stupid I followed your directions to the T. Let me explain my issue to you and hopefully you can help me out as well as the op (sorry to hi jack your thread btw no harm intended)

My clutch had almost no pedal before i used the mighty vac and after I've bled it with the mighty vac 3 times I'm getting no more air out. Sometimes my pedal will be rock hard and then other times I'll have an inch of play or so before it starts to push fluid this has been resulting in blocking the shifter from getting into gear for a sec and grinding when shifting fast going from 1-2 so i assume i still have some air??

When I use your method I have the hose going from the slave to the master and I pump the pedal by hand but I cant get the fluid to push all the way through the line up to the master to begin recirculating and also when doing this my pedal will no longer hold pressure well instead it will start sticking.

Quick Reply: Reverse bleeding master cylinder?