Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Just installed MGW shifter - did I do something wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed MGW shifter - did I do something wrong?

So I got my MGW shifter in the mail today, and was suuuuuper excited to install it. My car is a 97 z28 and came with the bottom of the barrel standard shifter, not even the Hurst, so I thought the MGW was going to be out of this world. After installing it though, I'm really disappointed and wondering if I did something wrong...

The main thing I hated about shifting in this car, even with the stock shifter, was how it feels like it's hitting a wall before each gear - how instead of smoothly popping into each gear, I almost have to force it past a real tough spot before it goes in. I was told by MGW that was caused by the transmission, the "neutral stops"? That's the main thing I want improved if anyone can tell me how to take care of it.

But the MGW feels pretty much just like the stock shifter, only without as much of a Z pattern between gears where the shifting is more of a straight line. (MGW is more /\/ vs -'|-' if that makes sense).... It's much stiffer and harder to shift, which exaggerates that "wall" feeling I hate... I think I would probably love the shifter if that feeling wasn't there.

Did I do everything right? I pulled all the stock **** apart.. center console, stick, the #6 boot, then the shifter. I cleaned off all the old gasket, and used the included black RTV silicone in a thick bead on the mounting surface, let it get a little dry, and rested the shifter on top. Snugged the bolts down finger tight, let the RTV dry some more, then tightened the bolts down snug + 1/4 turn. I put the #6 boot back on over the MGW base, which was a real snug fit.. wondering if I should have left the boot off.. installed the stick sticking out the bottom of the orange anodized bracket maybe 1/4" and tightened it down, put the shift boot on, put **** on, done.

Is there anything adjustable on the MGW other than the stick height, or anything I messed up? I was also kind of dissapointed in the adjustable height, it only moves like 3/4", and you have to actually cut it if you want it shorter. I also thought the orange anodized piece swiveled 360 degrees, but it looked like the only way it would fit is how it came positioned at 9 o'clock.

Sorry for the super long post but I'm pretty bummed out after spending over $220 on a shifter that feels almost worse than the stock one
Old 07-26-2012, 02:06 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 93z383
The main thing I hated about shifting in this car, even with the stock shifter, was how it feels like it's hitting a wall before each gear - how instead of smoothly popping into each gear, I almost have to force it past a real tough spot before it goes in.
You could have a bit of drag on the clutch (bleeding it may help) or you could be reaching the service life of the early design fibre blocker rings (assuming it's not been rebuilt in the last decade with new carbon rings.)

I was told by MGW that was caused by the transmission, the "neutral stops"?
I would implore of you to read the threads in the manual trans. forum here about MGW shifters with regard to "it's the transmission."
Old 07-26-2012, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jmd
You could have a bit of drag on the clutch (bleeding it may help) or you could be reaching the service life of the early design fibre blocker rings (assuming it's not been rebuilt in the last decade with new carbon rings.)
I can't be 100% sure on that one, but I know the previous owner installed a new clutch, which works pretty well. Seems to probably be a OEM style clutch. It grabs pretty nice, pedal isn't terribly hard to push down, and engages about half way on letting the pedal up. I get a pretty bad rattle though if i don't slip the clutch real smooth, or lug down low in the rpms... sounds like a box of rocks.

Are the blocker rings a part of the clutch assembly, or a different section?

Originally Posted by jmd
I would implore of you to read the threads in the manual trans. forum here about MGW shifters with regard to "it's the transmission."
Meaning what, it is indeed the shifter making this feel worse?
Old 07-27-2012, 01:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, mine is the same but I don't mind it. It gives me more confidence that I'm in the correct gear, where the mushy stock shifter didn't. If you do a search other people have the same complaints.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Yeah I guess I can't complain about the shifter itself if my problem is more related to the tranny, it's growing on me and I'm starting to really like it. Maybe it needed a little breaking in lol. My girl definitely likes it, she has trouble driving stick but she's getting the hang of it, killing my fuggin clutch though -_-

So is there anything that can be done about this shittyness going into gears? I figured the MGW was going to be a cure all, but is there anything that can be done to improve that "hitting a wall" feeling?
Old 07-29-2012, 01:29 AM
TECH Regular

i like mine notchy and tight. give it time to break in . i have a new trans build two so i'm realy tight..
Old 07-29-2012, 03:14 AM
TECH Regular

When was the last time the fluid was changed in the tranny? That can be part of it.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an MGW as well, had a Ripper before that and the stock one before that.

If you wanted less effort with a smoother feel, that is not what you get with a short throw shifter. The point of them is to shorten the shift time and make them more accurate.

Personally I like the positive little snick you feel as it engages.

Hopefully you grow to like it.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
I have an MGW as well, had a Ripper before that and the stock one before that.

If you wanted less effort with a smoother feel, that is not what you get with a short throw shifter. The point of them is to shorten the shift time and make them more accurate.

Personally I like the positive little snick you feel as it engages.

Hopefully you grow to like it.

It takes more power to operate any given short throw shifter due to having less leverage compared to a stock shifter with more leverage. That is the tradeoff.

I have a gen1 B&M ripper and love it and never feel it is hard to work.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:32 AM
Launching!

It's not the effort or anything like that I dislike. I like the positive feel, you're either in or your out, no way to really miss a gear, I really like it.

My beef is the blockage I'm feeling when trying to throw a gear, it's definitely not supposed to be that way, and I'm wondering what's causing it. Can anybody explain? It's not the shifter, it felt this way with the stock shifter as well. It's something else, and I'm just trying to figure out what, and if it can or can't be improved.

I can live with it, but if it's something I can improve I definitely would like to , you know?
Old 08-02-2012, 06:01 AM
Launching!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-feel-mod.html

Try this. I have not done it. There is mixed reviews.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

as suggested here maybe try a fluid change to a good dex III or pennzoil synchromesh but no synthetic is your transmission is still stock with the paper synchro rings. if this doesnt help it may just be the nature of the beast.

Have you ever owned a t56 car? Only reason I say this is that they are notchy as hell lol. I've driven stick in quite a few different cars and usually theres just a small pop that lets you know it goes into the next gear where every t56 I've driven you can basically feel all the linkages and synchros working and its notchy going into the gear. But hey they still work great and take abuse so I just got used to it.

FWIW i have the ripper in my car and my buddy has an MGW mine def is a little smoother shifting and quieter but i love the feel of the MGW over it, the pro 5.0, or hurst...It's on my bday list lol
Old 08-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Yeah I drove my buddies 98 Trans Am, not sure if that would have a different feel to it given the LS1, maybe the T56 is a little different, but his felt a little closer to normal.

Another thing - Why the hell does my car not have a transmission fluid dip stick? This is my first M6 car but shouldn't it have one lol.... maybe the douche bag i bought it from forgot to reinstall it when he did the clutch.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Launching!

Oh and yeah as far as I know the transmission is all stock still.. hard to tell because the previous owner did put in a brand new clutch, which feels pretty stock. Tough to say because I haven't driven many M6 fbodies... the clutch is good and stiff, but doesn't feel like a racing clutch, not overly hard. And the trans shifts good and tight... not sure if there would be any difference in "feel" there between a stock or built trans, but it never fails. Shifts great every time, firm feel, puts up with all the abuse... nothing out of the ordinary I guess besides the toughness of throwing gears, that blocky feeling before it goes in I'm complaining about.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 93z383
Yeah I drove my buddies 98 Trans Am, not sure if that would have a different feel to it given the LS1, maybe the T56 is a little different, but his felt a little closer to normal.

Another thing - Why the hell does my car not have a transmission fluid dip stick? This is my first M6 car but shouldn't it have one lol.... maybe the douche bag i bought it from forgot to reinstall it when he did the clutch.
It only uses 4 quarts and its a closed system, no need for a dip stick. The oil won't go anywhere unless you have a leak.

Quick Reply: Just installed MGW shifter - did I do something wrong?