Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch won't disengage, possible pressure plate issue?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch won't disengage, possible pressure plate issue?

Ok, so over the weekend I installed an old used clutch into my 99 that I had laying around from my 02 Camaro that looked to be in fine shape so I kept it. I also installed a brand new master and slave but now the clutch won't disengage. My friend and I bled the slave manually a bunch (whole bottle worth of clutch fluid worth) and also used a mightyvac 2 times, only getting tiny tiny bubbles once in a long while while doing that. Question is:

Could this be a pressure plate issue of some sort, all the stock bolts were re-used, I know the stock clutch is self adjusting and all so I figured if anything would go together no shims needed it would be stock parts. The reason I ask about the pressure plate is I removed the clutch from my 02 because I heard a bang one day while driving it and the clutch wouldn't disengage anymore. I upgraded the clutch in that car because I assumed it was a hydraulic issue when I replaced the slave and master in that car. Just seems like an awful big coincidence that this car is doing the same thing with the same clutch in it. So what does everyone think?
Old 08-06-2012, 12:45 PM
Launching!

What type of clutch is it? Ls7? If so, from what i have seen on here is even with the new hyraulics, the pressure plate is self adjusting and it adjusted to the orignal hydraulics that were in when it was installed. You may need a new pp.. but dont quote me on that...
Old 08-06-2012, 02:52 PM
12 Second Club

It's a stock 2002 Camaro clutch so It's an LS6. The more I think about it the more I believe it's the pressure plate, it must just be adjusted all the way in like you say and I suppose that could have accounted for the pop I heard in the 02 car when I removed this clutch originally. Well does anyone have a spare good pressure plate? haha
Old 08-06-2012, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

When I heard a "pop" and the clutch stopped functioning in my old Mustang, the springs in the pressure plate took a ****.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:30 PM
12 Second Club

Damn, see all the springs "appeared" ok to me, it's the only reason I saved the thing, serves me right for trying to be cheap with this build.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like it is in fact the pressure plate issue. If you do look into buying a clutch, our Level 1 or Level 2 would suite your needs just fine. We offer complete kits. Give us a call @ 817-750-2000, and we will get you taken care of. I'd hate to see you have to replace the clutch again.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
Sounds like it is in fact the pressure plate issue. If you do look into buying a clutch, our Level 1 or Level 2 would suite your needs just fine. We offer complete kits. Give us a call @ 817-750-2000, and we will get you taken care of. I'd hate to see you have to replace the clutch again.

Thanks for the info, I ordered an LS7 kit today however, I would love a Monster in the future though when I get enough saved to make this car fast but for right now money was too tight and this car is too underpowered to warrant one but it does suck having to pull this trans back out either way.

Quick Reply: Clutch won't disengage, possible pressure plate issue?