Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

drive shaft questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drive shaft questions

In the process of replacing my clutch, I was told that the carrier bearing on my drive shaft was bad. Is this something i could replace myself? It seems like i cant find the part for it anywhere but i sure can find the LT1/LS1 1-piece driveshafts everywhere and was also wondering if I got one of those would it work the same, if not better, than the 2-piece? are they the same length? Thanks in advance

Last edited by Reddragon97; 08-20-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

F bodies do not have carrier bearings....
Old 08-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Teching In

then what is this???
Attached Thumbnails drive shaft questions-imag0324.jpg  
Old 08-20-2012, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Reddragon97
then what is this???
Idk what the hell that is but the only thing I've ever seen a carrier bearing on is a long bed 4 door pickup. I've never been under a LT car but I can't imagine them being any different from a LS car. This is what all of mine have looked like
Attached Thumbnails drive shaft questions-driveshaft_installed.jpg  
Old 08-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Teching In

i wish it was an LS bt it's just a 3.8 /sadface
Old 08-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Teching In

w/e it is im not sure. I know for a fact its a bearing of some kind and ever since i got everything back together is makes a nast popping sound in reverse and also when i shift into neutral as im coming to a stop
Old 08-20-2012, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

w/e it is im not sure. I know for a fact its a bearing of some kind and ever since i got everything back together is makes a nast popping sound in reverse and also when i shift into neutral as im coming to a stop
That sounds more like a torque arm mount of course that's using LS car logic so it might be BS in your case
Old 08-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Teching In

i know when the drive shaft was out, Idiot that was working with me tried, multiple time, to pull the drive shaft apart. It is a 2 piece and from what im to understand, when he tried to pull it apart i think it may have fubar'd the damn thing. My haynes manual calls it a center support bearing. Is there a place that anyone might know of that has replacement bearings or am i doomed to get a new driveshaft? and also, as mentoined before, will an LS1/LT1 drive shaft work on a 3.8?
Old 08-20-2012, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

i know when the drive shaft was out, Idiot that was working with me tried, multiple time, to pull the drive shaft apart. It is a 2 piece and from what im to understand, when he tried to pull it apart i think it may have fubar'd the damn thing. My haynes manual calls it a center support bearing. Is there a place that anyone might know of that has replacement bearings or am i doomed to get a new driveshaft? and also, as mentoined before, will an LS1/LT1 drive shaft work on a 3.8?
If your tranny has a fixed yoke mounted to the rear instead of a slip yoke, the v8 driveshaft won't work but you might be able to have a 4 wheel drive shop make you a 2 piece with no carrier bearing
Old 08-20-2012, 08:09 PM
On The Tree

This site is LS1tech.com so there aren't many people here that could help you with your v6 car but I believe there is a F body specific forum floating around out there somewhere that might be able to help you

Quick Reply: drive shaft questions