Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 1 piece countershaft question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 1 piece countershaft question

I'm getting ready to rebuild my t56 trans and doing my homework first before I tear into it. I have a t56 with a 1 piece countershaft. It is a 2007 z06 trans. My question is in regards to setting endplay/preload on a 1 piece countershaft. If I am looking at this correctly then it seems that I do not need the special endplay checking tool. It appears that all i need is a dial indicator and I can check both countershaft and input/mainshaft tolerances at the same time. Does this sound correct or am I missing something?
Old 02-23-2013, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You do need a 12x1.75mm threaded rod to thread into the 1pc and check/set the countershaft preload. You won't need it to set any extension shaft end play.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the reply. I guess I am missing something then. Do you use the threaded rod only for a good spot to put the dial indicator on? Why can't you just put a dial indicator on the end of the countershaft and check/set endplay. I understand that the tail housing uses a straight bearing and that the extension shaft endplay will not need to be checked.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PadreSmith
Thanks for the reply. I guess I am missing something then. Do you use the threaded rod only for a good spot to put the dial indicator on? Why can't you just put a dial indicator on the end of the countershaft and check/set endplay. I understand that the tail housing uses a straight bearing and that the extension shaft endplay will not need to be checked.
I use a lift to push on the rod through the front plate to get consistent and repeatable measurements. I suppose you're pulling up on the 1pc by hand and making your measurements? You can probably get away by doing that on your own unit, but it's not very consistent/accurate IMHO.. See if you can get the same measurement 3 times in a row, if you can, then you're golden...
Old 03-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome. Thanks as always for the advice. One more question i had was on the upgraded 1st gear retainer for the ssr mainshaft. The two half moon segments used on the ssr mainshaft have a bevel on one side and are machined flat on the other side. Does orientation matter on the two segments? I would guess that the beveled side would go towards the gear and the flat side would be installed facing towards the input shaft side. Any help or any diagrams for this situation would be all I need to finish this build!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

I honestly never even noticed a bevel, so I doubt there's an orientation..

Quick Reply: T56 1 piece countershaft question