Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need some advice! Clutch install.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice! Clutch install.

So this is the first time im installing a clutch and Im doing it on my own because Im a loner like that.

Well clutch is in and torqued along with the bell housing. Now Im trying to mount the transmission. I began having a hard time an inch from bell housing contact. I took a look in there and noticed the throw out bearing pressing against the pressure plate. Is this normal?
Attached Thumbnails Need some advice! Clutch install.-img_1096.jpg   Need some advice! Clutch install.-img_1097.jpg  
Old 03-01-2013, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you use the clutch alignment tool
Old 03-01-2013, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Yes I did.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:14 PM
On The Tree

can you push the bearing down on the slave?
Old 03-01-2013, 04:10 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes that is normal, the release bearing is preloaded and should contact the diaphragm spring.

The issue you're having is lack of alignment with the disc, you need to realign the disc and attempt the installation again.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Alright so I took down the transmission, bell housing, and pressure plate. Mocks up the transmission to rule out pilot bearing placement? Then mocked it up several other ways. Realigned the clutch, torqued and still no luck.

Any other reason why it wont go in. Ive been at it all last night and today.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Well I've done what I can tonight ill try again tomorrow
Old 03-01-2013, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

as you torque the pressure plate to specs make sure the alignment tool eaily slides in and out of the clutch disc. If its hung up youre not aligned. Its helps to have some one brace the pressure plate and pull the alignment tool back and forth to make sure it moves freely throughout the torqing process.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Is the gap between the bell housing and trans even all the way around, so you will know that your going straight in. Are the splines engaging into the disc, if there not, put the trans in sixth gear and rotate the output shaft as your going in to line up the splines.

I did mine last weekend, the alignment tool is sloppy, so I put the disc and pressure plate in position with all the bolts finger tight. With the alignment tool in place I pushed the alignment tool up and down, and left and right, which also moved the disc. I did this to find the mid point to get the disc centered as best as possible.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:41 AM
Launching!

Is the bleed valve open to the slave cylinder? It will compress easier if the valve is open.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Its not but I'll that shot tonight. Although the throw bearing is not whats keeping from going in. The splines catch and begin to go in like in the picture but then it stops and I can push the bearing back myself and still no budge.

At this point I really wouldn't mind some help
Old 03-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Launching!

I put a light coat of white lithium grease on the splines to prevent rust and help the splines slide in. Not enough grease to sling off, just enough make the splines shiny. Can you get the bolts from the bell housing started? If it is close enough to get the bell housing bolts started just start tightening them up. The input shaft splines will go in if the clutch disc is aligned properly.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

Make sure the clutch disc is aligned properly with the pilot bearing. If you try to force the transmission on with the bolts and its not lined up, you will break or strip something. If you can get it on as far as I can see, its the tip of the shaft getting into the pilot bearing is the issue. Gently jiggle the transmission while you push it forward.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

DO NOT pull the transmission in by tightening the tranny bolts to pull it in...you WILL FU the clutch disc and or pilot bearing if you do.

Alignment can be tricky and frustrating. as noted confirm alignment tool is in STRAIGHT and not at an angle. I keep forward pressure on tool until I have a PP bolt or to tight enough to hold everything in place. also run your fingers around the PP edge and feel if the disc is equally spaced all around it and not off to one side.

angle of tranny needs to = the angle of your bellhousing/engine so some lifting/lowering of the tranny jack or motor with a floor jack may need to happen. Also putting the tranny in gear and twisting the tail spline can help.

Basically your input shaft is engageing the clutch disc spline but the disc alignment is not exactly centered so your input shaft is hitting the edge of your pilot bearing

most of us have been there/done that and had to pull the tranny and clutch out and re-align again to resolve this.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Crazy week end schedule wont get a chance to be under my car again until monday. Would it help if I lift the front of the engine a bit with a hoist?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's possible, but also make sure that the alignment tool is completely inserted to where It can go no more. I had the same issue with mine, come to find out I didn't have it fully inserted and it was catching on the pilot halfway in.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

So ive been avoiding it for past couple days. Been trying to get some help but no one is really up for it or always busy.

Anyways the alignment tool is all the way in for sure. Its really no different that what ive been doing other than triple checking it and been extra careful now. I dont wana screw myself out of $600 part
Attached Thumbnails Need some advice! Clutch install.-img_1141.jpg  
Old 03-06-2013, 08:40 PM
Teching In

When you have it all lined up with the alignment tool and the splines slide in on the input shaft(alignment tool) use leverage to engage the last inch into the clutch pack. you are basically wiggle shake and push to get the tool to sinc.Mark the depth on the tool. remove the tool check it against your input shaft. that way you know you have aligned the entire clutch assembly. It sounds like you might not be getting the alignment tool all the way in when you sung up the clutch pack.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Is the alignment tool really that hard to push all the way? Definitely feels like its all the way in.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jvmun
Is the alignment tool really that hard to push all the way? Definitely feels like its all the way in.
No, it should slip right in. I know how the transmission needs to be angled perfectly to go in. Just make sure the trans is in neutral, align it and push it forward. It will go in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some advice! Clutch install.