Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Having some issues with my t56. hard to shift after rebuild and lockout solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having some issues with my t56. hard to shift after rebuild and lockout solenoid

Ive got an LSX in a 93 rx7 with a t56 tranny. My transmission got stuck in 4th gear so i had a local shop that is familiar with the t56 rebuild it. 3-4th synco was destroyed. Any ways now that its back in the car it seams hard and very notchy to shift. Its not all the time either which has me baffled. Some times its smooth and other times it doesnt want to come out of/go into gear without some force. Ive only changed up two variable since the car last ran. The clutch and the trans fluid.

The clutch i used is a used Spec 3+ which has almost no wear on it and very low miles. When i got it it was just the disc and pressure plate. Ive been told that the spec clutches require the use of a special shim to work properly or they can cause similar issues (hard/notchy shifting) if the shim isnt used. However my clutch starts to engage and catches about in the middle of the pedals travel.

The fluid i used this time around was royal purple syncromax. Ive hear some mixed reviews on the syncromax but have a hard time beliving it to be the cause of my hard shifting.

Ive also got an issue with the reverse lock out solenoid. Either it has gone bad or its not getting a signal. How would i go about testing the solenoid or circuit?

Thanks in advance and any input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ls6rx7; 03-04-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:04 PM
Banned

Who rebuilt it.
I'm having the same issue. I'm here in dallas,tx and I heard something about some billet keys that were machined with not enough tolerance.
Possibly causing the synchros to have too much drag
Old 10-16-2013, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it seems crazy but I had a similar issue when I used Penzoil Synchromax. The gears would grind time to time and I had to muscle it into most lower gears. Swapped it with dex III and it all went away, smooth shifting and no noise.

Might be worth the 30mins, could save you a lot of headache and money.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jbrockwell
I know it seems crazy but I had a similar issue when I used Penzoil Synchromax. The gears would grind time to time and I had to muscle it into most lower gears. Swapped it with dex III and it all went away, smooth shifting and no noise. Might be worth the 30mins, could save you a lot of headache and money.
Lol
Funny you say that!
That's what is in the car (penzoil)
Thanks

Quick Reply: Having some issues with my t56. hard to shift after rebuild and lockout solenoid