Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Poly tranny mount, what's the consensus?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poly tranny mount, what's the consensus?

I have been reading conflicting threads about whether a poly tranny mount is a good idea or not, especially if you still have rubber motor mounts.

My car will rattle the shifter like crazy under hard acceleration, so my guess is the stock tranny mount has had it. My car is a 98, so that thing has been holding the tranny in place for a good few years.

Seems like Energy Suspension and and Prothane are the only games in town and since I have to replace my clutch soon anyhow, I figure I might as well stick a new tranny mount in there.

So...poly or stock rubber, which way should I go?

More info about my car is in the signature.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

concensus is poly engine mounts rubber trans mounts.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the urethane ones and don't notice much diff. I got them to use with the upcoming T56 build behind the 416. Not enough use to form a long term opinion but no negatives to date.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard horror stories of massive vibrations and people losing their fillings...

I really don't want to do motor mounts now as well, so I am not sure what to do.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmmmm. I've got 1500 miles on mine and have lost no fillings, or even noticed much diff...well wait, yes I did. The stock rubber ones were cracked and the poly ones don't vibrate as much and don't have the movement the trans did when shifting.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:16 PM
Teching In

there could be something else going on.....if you accelerate, and the shifter rises up under load, it's the trans mount. At least that's what happened with my T-56. I would imagine it's the same with the automatic, since they mount in the same place.

I bought two rubber mounts from Pep Boys, made in India, and I'll never buy that garbage again. They didn't have one for my 99 Z, so they sold me one for a '72 Malibu. Everything matched up, but as soon as I put my car in reverse, the thing ripped. Bought the Energy Suspension, and have had no problems whatsoever. Spring for the better mount.

Quick Reply: Poly tranny mount, what's the consensus?