Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Finally got my Tick Master installed! Still not sure what the problem was though..

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got my Tick Master installed! Still not sure what the problem was though..

I had some major issues with my clutch pedal that threw everyone I asked for a loop. To begin with, the pedal was rather high up, I am talking 2 inches higher than the brake pedal. The long throw and the high engagement point made the car a bit of a pain to drive. Forget any type of performance driving with the engagement point way up there it just took forever to shift. My car is a 98 but with the Master of an 02 with drill mod in it since the original died as evidenced by the clutch pedal being stuck to the floor.

Anyways, the engagement point dropped way down to being right off the floor which made the car a pain to drive as well, and it was getting worse to the point that it was hard to put it in gear, and I was actually locked out of reverse. After receiving my Tick Master, it took a while until my friends and my schedule lined up, but Friday was the day, finally. First thing he noticed was that the fluid reservoir was just about empty. After filling some fluid in there, the pedal got much firmer, and the engagement point moved way up, where it used to be if not higher. At this point we didn't know what to think. There was no obvious leakage around the master, and after putting the car up on the lift we looked inside the tranny (without unbolting it) but really didn't see much of anything weird in there either. My friend was afraid that the Slave was the one leaking and that it could have possibly ruined the clutch if indeed it was slinging fluid all over it. What to do...I didn't want to spend the money on a new clutch right away, but I did buy an Advance Auto parts slave, just in case. We really didn't want to drop the tranny twice, so I rolled the dice and told my friend to leave the tranny alone and just put the Tick Master in. After lots of bleeding and fanagaling he got it installed, and what can I say, the car drives great! Shifts smoothly and burns rubber with no problems.

So for now I am keeping an eye on the fluid level and save my pennies for a Monster clutch, not sure yet if I am getting Stage 1 or 2. What caused the the fluid reservoir to be almost empty? No idea, but as of now, the Master is taken care off and I am sure getting a Monster clutch and new slave should take care of any other problems.

Thanks to everyone for pointing me towards the Tick Master, it's pricey, but sure worth it, the clutch has never felt so good, and I have had this car since I bought it new with 8 miles on it.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you notice any fluid under the trans? Mine has the done the same twice where the pedal engagment dropped really low and I couldnt get out of gear. Pretty sure its the slave. Already bought a replacement just need to find time to replace.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
Did you notice any fluid under the trans? Mine has the done the same twice where the pedal engagment dropped really low and I couldnt get out of gear. Pretty sure its the slave. Already bought a replacement just need to find time to replace.
I park my car on a carpet and there is absolutely nothing there. The tranny itself looked clean as well. Oh well, I am sure it will be all taken care of once the new clutch and slave go in.

I am only making about 360 to the wheels and don't have any near future plans on big power adders, should I just stick with the Stage 1 Monster?
Old 05-24-2013, 04:04 AM

Sounds like a slave cylinder issue. Since your dropping the tranny go ahead and do the clutch and fly. Monster stage 1 should be good enough but I tend to get better just because of preference. I hear "ap" branded slaves are the way to go btw.

Quick Reply: Finally got my Tick Master installed! Still not sure what the problem was though..