Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 sporadically hard to shift

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 sporadically hard to shift

So for the past month my 02 Firehawk has been sporadically hard to shift. Started with a 6th to 5th downshift attempt that wouldn't go into gear, then later that day hard to get into reverse and 1st. Then a week of no problems whatsoever. On anther day, upshifting into 4th wouldn't go 1 time, then all the sudden no problems for at least another week. Finally this past weekend of about 100 miles of driving, a downshift into second wouldn't go in. Parked car with clutch pushed in all the way, car was inching forward.

C6 Z06 clutch, GM master and slave replaced 2 years ago. Hurst shifter with upgraded shift bushing installed 2 1/2 years ago.

Something as simple as needing to bleed hydraulics or more of maybe the synchros going and needing a transmission rebuild? Any ideas of what to look for would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

not the transmission when its creeping forward with the clutch in, it means the clutch isn't completely disengaging. try re-bleeding the hydraulics. i'm currently in the same battle.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:01 PM
Teching In

I'm hoping thats all it is. Going to do all the checks on the top side of the car first like bleeding. Just got info from another guy saying he had the same problem and it was a bad pressure plate and/or the bolts loosened up on plate. Seeing how its so sporadic I may not know if just bleeding will solve my problems for a week or so.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your problems sound hydraulic rated as your running GM stuff and usually you don't need to shim those parts, but that is not always the case if you get a bad part. As a good procedure you should change out your clutch fluid every couple of fill ups to keep the parts in working order and free of clutch material, which eats away at the seals. That is why the fluid turns black. If it doesn't get better you need to see if your leaking fluid at the slave cylinder and if not your master probably went bad.

Quick Reply: T56 sporadically hard to shift