Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Interest in T56 mechanical speedo modification

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Interest in T56 mechanical speedo modification

After much measuring and thought i am having my machine shop modify my T56 housing to fit a factory GM mechanical speedometer output that goes on behind the electronic output.. this will allow the use of the factory ECM cruise control as well as drive the speedometer in older cars by a cable..

I am trying to see how many people would be interested in this as a service.. The sleeve that the speedo rides in will be aluminum and tig welded to the housing rather than the pressed/glued ones that other companies offer..

I am thinking that the price would be about 300 bucks + shipping both ways..

Anyone interested??
Old 07-16-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems like someone here did this a few years back for $495 (I could be wrong) so if you're price is firm, it should be a good deal...
Old 07-18-2013, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

That price is pretty close and maybe a little high.. This would be a turn around type of deal.. so you send us your housing and we send you one back.. I will be fronting the $ for the first housing to be done and it will be done on a trade out (or core charge) basis...

I will post up pics as soon as the first one is done..
Old 07-18-2013, 09:00 AM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

There is another guy doing the conversions close to your price range, his gear housings are epoxied in, I'm sure you know who it is as you mentioned you have seen the epoxied housings and you are just under his price. Although they only convert your existing housing, Your plan of for fronting the first housing is more than likely to get someone burned.

Inevitably someone is going to get a good conversion from you and send in a junk tailshaft housing that is cracked or has a bad tailshaft bushing. Then they get hit with a core charge and then they have their bank reverse the credit card charge on you
Old 08-14-2013, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

I have the first prototype for the speedometer mod done and on my desk.. Looks really good.. I think that the output side is going to have to be epoxied in.. But this thing looks great.. I am going ot post up pics of it all in pieces prior to being fully assembled so that everyone knows what we are looking at.. the guy even made a new designed retainer for the sleeve and the "bullet" for lack of a better term..
Old 08-14-2013, 10:00 AM
TECH Resident

Here are pics prior to final assembly..

Old 08-14-2013, 11:25 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The bolt location looks nice. now does it clear the torque arm & bracket?

Are things located to make the speedo drive gear most easily retained with clips?

There are early and late housings (JTR site details it.)
Old 08-14-2013, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jmd
The bolt location looks nice. now does it clear the torque arm & bracket?

Are things located to make the speedo drive gear most easily retained with clips?

There are early and late housings (JTR site details it.)
No consideration for the torque arm bracket was made in this modification.. I have an LS1 Trans Am bracket at the house so i could see if it clears..

The drive gear will be retained on the output shaft with a factory clip..

The driven gear is held within the factory T5 "bullet" and is held in with the Aluminum piece that pivots out of the way.

I wasn't aware that there was much difference in the T56 housings.. This is from a 98 Trans Am..
Old 04-09-2014, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

I have this modification completed and have put several miles on the car with little to no issues.. If anyone is interested in the modification to the tail housing I can start taking orders.. It would be a ship me yours and I ship it back type of deal too..

Thanks,
Old 07-22-2014, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i might be interested, i am looking to pick up a 87 with t56 swap and i want the speedometer to work. Has anyone else showed interest?
Old 03-06-2015, 07:33 PM

Default Speedometer conversion

Do u hav an email to get my tail housing done
Old 03-06-2015, 07:34 PM

Do u have email address to get my housing done
Old 09-04-2015, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry everyone.. I have been away from things for a while.

If anyone is still interested in this service please shoot me an email at igone09@gmail.com.. The guy that did this expressed interest in doing a couple more.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

I still have all the prints for this conversion and a guy lined up to do them. I am just the middle man. Money goes to the machinist. email me at address above with TAILHOUSING in the title and I will respond.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

I'e had a couple of guys get ahold of me.. If you are interested in the conversion I need to know what all you have ahead of time.

Places online sell the gears, the holder and the physical conversion as one.. If you already have the gears the price is different.. if you have the holder it is different..

If you want the conversion please go to the link below and figure out what gears you need before you email me and include them in your email. http://tri-5.chevyrides.com/speedo.php

Quick Reply: Interest in T56 mechanical speedo modification