Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Tailshaft Bushing

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Tailshaft Bushing

Fellow shifters,

I'm almost at the end of rebuilding my T56 transmission. I decided to replace the tailshaft bushing as the driveshaft seemed a tad wobbly when I put it in the end of the transmission to check if the bushing was still good.

I decided to replace it. So I got a new timken bushing, took the old one out, and tapped the new one in using a race and a hammer. When I tried to put the driveshaft back in to check the fit of the new bushing, it was very tight, so tight that it wouldn't go all the way in. When I took the driveshaft back out and looked at the bushing, it had crumpled in a bit into the larger of the oil passages cut into the housing.

My question is, do I just need to be more careful, or is there a better method I should be using? Any input is well appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

We use a cam bearing installer tool to install the bushing. You need something to support the ID of the bushing or it will usually crumple as you found out.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never used a cam bearing installer tool. Is it something that an autoparts store (O'Reilly's, Autozone, Advance Auto) would loan out? I did a google search and it looks there are various sizes. What size do you use (I ask in case I have to go buy a kit and need to know what size I'll need)?

If I put the bushing in the freezer and then the tailshaft housing in the oven for awhile, should there be enough clearance to slip it in without too much trouble?

Thanks again.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:04 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

They always do that; the oil groove design isn't designed for serviceability. And the i.d. is undersized for service too.

Freezing bushing and heating tailhousing helps a little bit but not enough to overcome the amount the tail is undersized.

I bought a tool. I made a tool. I've posted about it here ad nauseum. Now I just hone them.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is why the factory installs a bushing THEN machines it to size. TREMEC services this as a whole extension housing.

Quick Reply: T56 Tailshaft Bushing