Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch sticking to the floor

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch sticking to the floor

My car is a 2000 t/a, exhaust and some suspention parts. The clutch has a new master cylinder, and the slave, and clutch disk was new 4k miles ago. Everything worked great up until a few hundred miles ago. I have bleed the clutch multiple times with no luck. I then replaced to master, as it was the original and that seems to be the next step. I also did the drill mod. I Have bleed the clutch both with the mity vac, and traditionally, and i still have the same problem. On a high rpm shift, the clutch pedal sticks about halfway up. I am at a loss, any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

If you're confident it has been bled properly (and installed properly) then I invite you to sit down and read a little on what others have found. It's what I ran into as well, and was the fix for mine:

(btw, did a search for "self adjusting pressure plate")

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...-flywheel.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...recommend.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...utch-good.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...lp-needed.html
Old 07-30-2013, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Would the SAC cause there to be a problem an almost every high rpm shift, but run normal at low rpm?

I do drive the car the way it was meant to be driven. It does see higher rpm shifts fairly often.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

Default yes

yes thats exactly how a self adjusting clutch acts
Old 07-30-2013, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Well damn. Wish i would of known when i had the motor dropped and the trans off. I would of replaced the whole clutch with whatever is best for my situation instead of just the disk..

But when the clutch sticks, it can be pumped back, the mity vac does nothing, and during low rpm, everything works fine. It has gotten much worse.

It started out as a problem only when pulling it out of 4th gear after a high speed run, now it is blocking every 2-3 shift. Doesnt slip though.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:43 PM
12 Second Club

yeah its because your clutch splines are being pulled away from your slave cylinder at high rpm and thus your slave is getting over extended and dropping your clutch to the floor and then when your splines have returned to normal you can pump your clutch back to life because they are giving resistance to your clutch pedal again.took us a long time to figure that out.Me and my brother that is.and i dont know why the condition would deteriorate but mine did as well(locked outta 4th third and then even second)I would imagine that the splines loose their integrity over time especially when u keep forcing them inward at high rpms.Just get an aftermarket pressure plate and you'll have no worries.

Last edited by badamn; 07-30-2013 at 02:49 PM. Reason: unfinished thought
Old 07-30-2013, 03:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A spring has a life span just like anything and will get weaker over time/use. Surface grip can change during the life of a clutch and it may not full on slip ie free rev, but can still slip slowly creating extra heat. How much power are you making? Our clutches are on sale currently and will not leave with a limp pedal. Let me know if you have any questions. Chris, 817-750-2000
Old 07-30-2013, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
A spring has a life span just like anything and will get weaker over time/use. Surface grip can change during the life of a clutch and it may not full on slip ie free rev, but can still slip slowly creating extra heat. How much power are you making? Our clutches are on sale currently and will not leave with a limp pedal. Let me know if you have any questions. Chris, 817-750-2000
303whp when it was dynoed.. lol I have sense tuned it and i qould guess some where in the 320-325rwhp. I drive it hard, and dd it hard. Eventually i will put h/c/i onto it, but that wont be for a while. Have looked into monster clutches. Everyone seems to like them. Will probably give you a call in the next few days.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:20 PM
FormerVendor

Sounds good, the Level 2 would handle the NA combo if that's your plan. Just a heads up the sale ends tomorrow if you're looking to save $125 and free shipping.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I was having the exact same issue with my SS, tried the drill mod and DOT 4, didn't help...so I installed a tick adj master cyl and so far it has improved shifting a lot, still a little pedal sticking after 3-4 shift but I think it may just need further adjusting & bleeding...I guess since it's giving the slave the extra push to reach the pressure plate @ high rpm???

you should give the Tick master a try first maybe...it's made the issue almost disappear for me and many others...if you decide afterwards to go with a new clutch setup, you'll already have the Tick master to compliment it...

On the flip side, I hear & read a lot of good about monster clutches, so if you got the cash, just go with a whole new setup...if the issue persists for me, I'll probably go monster level 2 and be done with it
Old 07-30-2013, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by manzo81maro
I was having the exact same issue with my SS, tried the drill mod and DOT 4, didn't help...so I installed a tick adj master cyl and so far it has improved shifting a lot, still a little pedal sticking after 3-4 shift but I think it may just need further adjusting & bleeding...I guess since it's giving the slave the extra push to reach the pressure plate @ high rpm???

you should give the Tick master a try first maybe...it's made the issue almost disappear for me and many others...if you decide afterwards to go with a new clutch setup, you'll already have the Tick master to compliment it...

On the flip side, I hear & read a lot of good about monster clutches, so if you got the cash, just go with a whole new setup...if the issue persists for me, I'll probably go monster level 2 and be done with it
The problem is i am on a budget. Changing oil while your 18 only gets you so far.(i do have a few leads on jobs that i would like too have, and happen to pay alot better) I think it is the clutch, as i just put in a brand new master, and the problems persist, although it feels better during normal driveing, it now blocks the 2-3 verse only pulling out of 4th and having a problem.

@SNLPerformance , how much is a stage 2 clutch?
Old 07-31-2013, 11:45 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by pferris
The problem is i am on a budget. Changing oil while your 18 only gets you so far.(i do have a few leads on jobs that i would like too have, and happen to pay alot better) I think it is the clutch, as i just put in a brand new master, and the problems persist, although it feels better during normal driveing, it now blocks the 2-3 verse only pulling out of 4th and having a problem.

@SNLPerformance , how much is a stage 2 clutch?
The sale ends for the $125 off with free shipping today, that price is $554.99 for the basic kit and standard weight flywheel.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by pferris
The problem is i am on a budget. Changing oil while your 18 only gets you so far.(i do have a few leads on jobs that i would like too have, and happen to pay alot better) I think it is the clutch, as i just put in a brand new master, and the problems persist, although it feels better during normal driveing, it now blocks the 2-3 verse only pulling out of 4th and having a problem
Even though you put in a new stock master, the reason you're still having issues is because the stock master will not move enough fluid into the slave to reach the stock pressure plate @ high rpm...that's where the Tick shines, I just made another adjustment on mine, and now my issue is gone...either way you go will surely get rid of the issue, but I just wanted to let you know that for me and many others just changing to a Tick adj master solved it

Last edited by manzo81maro; 07-31-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by manzo81maro
Even though you put in a new stock master, the reason you're still having issues is because the stock master will not move enough fluid into the slave to reach the stock pressure plate @ high rpm...that's where the Tick shines, I just made another adjustment on mine, and now my issue is gone...either way you go will surely get rid of the issue, but I just wanted to let you know that for me and many others just changing to a Tick adj master solved it
I'm guessing you had to adjust it out quite a bit to reach those fingers when they are getting sucked in. What do you have your clutch pedal set to now? About a half inch above the brake pedal or is it less than that?

EDIT* Nevermind, just saw your other thread. That's pretty much what I thought it would need to be set at to work.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I'm guessing you had to adjust it out quite a bit to reach those fingers when they are getting sucked in. What do you have your clutch pedal set to now? About a half inch above the brake pedal or is it less than that?

EDIT* Nevermind, just saw your other thread. That's pretty much what I thought it would need to be set at to work.
Yea it ended up just a tad higher than the brake pedal...I was skeptical about adjusting too high and damaging something, but Martin @ Tick said I would be fine...I'll do final testing/adjusting the next time I go to the track where I can really run it
Old 07-31-2013, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

I would rather not have the clutch higher than the brake. And a clutch replacement was on the list of future mods, so i went ahead and ordered a monster level 2 and remote bleeder.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I would have to assume that the pressure plate fingers don't actually get "sucked in" further as RPM's increase. I would have to assume that the fingers stay at the same distance regardless of RPM.

That said, the clamping load of the pressure plate on the clutch disc I assume has to increase as rpm increases due to centrifugal force. Thus requiring the TOB to press harder against the pressure plate's fingers to allow them to release the pressure plate from the clutch disc. This is where our master that moves more fluid volume helps as it gives that TOB the added pressure it needs to push against the PP fingers causing them to release.

At low RPM's the load is no where near as great so the pressure required from the TOB isn't as great to decompress the PP fingers.

Since we haven't been able to test anything regarding the LS6, LS1, LS7 clutches with this SAC design, all of my statements are assumptions.

I would have to say and think though that the load on the clutch disc from the pressure plate does increase as rpm's increase just from centrifugal force and the clutch/flywheel spinning faster and faster as rpm's increase.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I would have to assume that the pressure plate fingers don't actually get "sucked in" further as RPM's increase. I would have to assume that the fingers stay at the same distance regardless of RPM.

That said, the clamping load of the pressure plate on the clutch disc I assume has to increase as rpm increases due to centrifugal force. Thus requiring the TOB to press harder against the pressure plate's fingers to allow them to release the pressure plate from the clutch disc. This is where our master that moves more fluid volume helps as it gives that TOB the added pressure it needs to push against the PP fingers causing them to release.

At low RPM's the load is no where near as great so the pressure required from the TOB isn't as great to decompress the PP fingers.

Since we haven't been able to test anything regarding the LS6, LS1, LS7 clutches with this SAC design, all of my statements are assumptions.

I would have to say and think though that the load on the clutch disc from the pressure plate does increase as rpm's increase just from centrifugal force and the clutch/flywheel spinning faster and faster as rpm's increase.
I do understand what you are saying, but the clutch did operate just fine a few thousand miles ago on a stock master. I replaced it with a new one, so i am fairly sure the clutch is the problem. In my situation, i think the tick master would more patch the problem, where a clutch would fix it.

Quick Reply: Clutch sticking to the floor