Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

FD RX7 ls1 AUTO to MANUAL swap???

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FD RX7 ls1 AUTO to MANUAL swap???

I have a 93 rx7 with a 402 stroker. it has a TH350 in it right now but I want to make the car more of a daily driver/highway friendly car. what would it take for me to swap in a t56? I've tried searching and searching and haven't been able to come up with anything useful.. any help is appreciated!
Old 08-02-2013, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

I would think it would be a matter of sourcing the T56 and its harness, clutch/flywheel, PP, master cylinder, slave/TB, bellhousing, tranny mount, and a driveshaft if its needed. Probably have retune the ECU to switch it over to manual. The auto harness may work/have the same plugs on it. Should bolt up just fine. Should bolt to the block fine. I know on 240's the mount for auto vs manual is different.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by niscur29
I would think it would be a matter of sourcing the T56 and its harness, clutch/flywheel, PP, master cylinder, slave/TB, bellhousing, tranny mount, and a driveshaft if its needed. Probably have retune the ECU to switch it over to manual. The auto harness may work/have the same plugs on it. Should bolt up just fine. Should bolt to the block fine. I know on 240's the mount for auto vs manual is different.
I can trade my complete auto swap for a complete t56 swap out of an fbody. but i'm not sure what I need to do on the rx7 side of things...
Old 08-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Teching In

anybody have any experience with this????
Old 08-10-2013, 02:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to find out if your LS harness is auto or manual. With a TH350 I doubt your PCM is doing anything to the trans outside of the VSS.

You will need:
Pedal
slave
master
ToB
clutch line
flywheel
clutch
full t-56 ideally a 00-02 camaro trans
driveshaft
trans mount

Does the car use a torque bar from the diff to the trans or a samberg style diff mount?

If you have the torque bar I suggest getting rid of it and going with the diff mount.

Was the rx7 an auto or manual stock? The RX harnesses are not the same. The manual harness is easier to swap.

Go over to norotors and message Pez if you can get a hold of him. He knows all the ins and outs of various wire harness setups and provides custom harnesses for the swap.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Exidous
You need to find out if your LS harness is auto or manual. With a TH350 I doubt your PCM is doing anything to the trans outside of the VSS.

You will need:
Pedal
slave
master
ToB
clutch line
flywheel
clutch
full t-56 ideally a 00-02 camaro trans
driveshaft
trans mount

Does the car use a torque bar from the diff to the trans or a samberg style diff mount?

If you have the torque bar I suggest getting rid of it and going with the diff mount.

Was the rx7 an auto or manual stock? The RX harnesses are not the same. The manual harness is easier to swap.

Go over to norotors and message Pez if you can get a hold of him. He knows all the ins and outs of various wire harness setups and provides custom harnesses for the swap.

the car was an auto originally. its got a "pro standalone wiring harness and a 2001 harness out of an fbody. at this point it doesn't matter what harness it has on the rx7 side of things does it? i'm not sure what you mean by torque bar or diff mount? is that like a torqe arm on an fbody? I've owned 9 fbodys but this is my first mazda. I have EVERYTHING from a pullout out of an ls1 fbody from flywheel to shifter, so I have all of that covered. will I need a different trans mount or is it the same on a th350? Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by Gaspo; 08-11-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does the "pro" harness have manual or auto connections?

I am talking about the torque arm just like the f-body's. Some keep the torque arm most put in a diff brace and eliminate the torque arm.

You will need a different trans brace. The samberg unit is quite nice.

You will still need the clutch pedal, wilwood master, slave and -3an line. The auto car chassis has no differences to the manual. Only cluster and wires. The clutch pedal will bolt right up.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Exidous
Does the "pro" harness have manual or auto connections?

I am talking about the torque arm just like the f-body's. Some keep the torque arm most put in a diff brace and eliminate the torque arm.

You will need a different trans brace. The samberg unit is quite nice.

You will still need the clutch pedal, wilwood master, slave and -3an line. The auto car chassis has no differences to the manual. Only cluster and wires. The clutch pedal will bolt right up.
I'm not sure.. right now I have to manually shift my TH350. (not sure if that's normal, I've always had 6spd cars). I'll look into finding the Samberg trans brace.

I cant use the stock fbody master, slave and line? do I need the mazda clutch pedal or the fbody one? thanks a lot! like I said i'm a newbee to this mazda stuff.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gaspo
anybody have any experience with this????
you may have to go to an rx7 forum to find what you are needing. there is a whole section on swaps because of so many ppl going lsx.

have my rx7 in the shop now getting a quote on a 13b tt rebuild, 3 rotor 20b swap, and of coarse an lsx w/6spd swap.

Quick Reply: FD RX7 ls1 AUTO to MANUAL swap???