Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Can I remove Pilot Bearing wo removing clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can I remove Pilot Bearing wo removing clutch?

I'm about to tear apart my car right now and I was wondering if I could skip taking off the clutch and flywheel to get to the pilot bearing?
Old 08-08-2013, 05:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It is not hard at all to take off the clutch. I would suggest just removing the clutch and doing it right, then put the clutch back on after you have replaced the bearing. It won't hurt the clutch, just make sure to use brake cleaner to clean it when you put it back on. Why are you wanting to skip this out of curiosity?

On the specific of your question, highly doubtful but probably possible. I have never tried, but from looking at pictures of my previous clutch replacement I can see the bearing through the hole in the center of the disc. BUT! You will not be able to accomplish this if you use a bearing puller that is rented from a parts house. Because every one that I have tried I have had to take one arm off, put the puller in the bearing, then the arm that I took off through the bearing, and then put the puller back together while inside the bearing. So unless you have a special tool that is small enough to go right through the bearing without a hassle you will probably just have to take off the clutch. Which is not difficult at all. If you need help with getting the flywheel bolts out, use your exhaust bracket from the transmission crossmember. It has straight through holes with no threads. Bolt on half to where the bellhousing bolts to the engine, and the other to a pressure plate bolt hole on the flywheel. This will hold the flywheel still so you can break the bolts loose.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:50 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the tips. I just did all the clutch stuff like 5 months ago but it was a super pain so I'm just trying to do it faster and more painless if I can.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:27 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given that you would have already dropped the exhaust, driveshaft, trans, and bellhousing to even get to this point, what's a few more bolts?

I think it would be more trouble than it's worth to try it without pulling the clutch and flywheel. I can't see it taking less time once you figure out how to grab it through the hole in the clutch that's only the size of the input shaft. About all you would get from this is the ability to say that you did it.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:10 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It isn't worth the hassle to even attempt to pull the pilot bearing without removing the clutch. Just remove the clutch and rent/borrow a pilot bearing puller from your local auto parts store and you should be good to go.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 08-08-2013, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chewybacca11
Thanks for all the tips. I just did all the clutch stuff like 5 months ago but it was a super pain so I'm just trying to do it faster and more painless if I can.
I understand man, but just like these guys said. After doing everything to get to that point, just a few more bolts, and maybe a max time of 20 minutes is not enough to worry about skipping for the problem/difficulty you will be facing if you don't do it.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:11 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If you find a tool that fits, (There isn't one,) let me know; just broke my puller.

It's not hard at all to set up a clutch if you reasonably center the piloting tool. Wiggle it all around, up and down, and stop just a bit above center, keep holding it there, and tighten the bolts.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys... but I've gone a step further... and tried to get it out with the tranny still in! But no luck...
Old 08-08-2013, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd
If you find a tool that fits, (There isn't one,) let me know
Harbour freight- blind hole puller. It's a small slide hammer tool with attachments that fit our pilot bearing. It's cheap too
Old 08-08-2013, 08:08 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by 1BAD02WS6
Harbour freight- blind hole puller. It's a small slide hammer tool with attachments that fit our pilot bearing. It's cheap too
Through the splined disc hub? Stop.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oops I misunderstood.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks guys... but I've gone a step further... and tried to get it out with the tranny still in! But no luck...
Hahaha did it take long to find out that it wasn't going to work?

Last edited by KissMyTushZ28; 08-08-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

LOL

Originally Posted by KissMyTushZ28
How in the hell did you even remotely think that would work? Are you trolling or something? You do realize for the transmission to be in that the input shaft has to be in the clutch and pilot bearing itself, and that means that the input shaft is blocking the only way to get to the pilot bearing! ....
AHHAHAHAHA!

Yes, he was kidding. Sorry, I got humor out of all this...

I popped in to see if anyone was forcing it out with grease. I've heard of that method, never seen it.

Also, I would agree with everyone else, take the clutch off.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
LOL

AHHAHAHAHA!

Yes, he was kidding. Sorry, I got humor out of all this...

I popped in to see if anyone was forcing it out with grease. I've heard of that method, never seen it.

Also, I would agree with everyone else, take the clutch off.
Sorry, guess my humor switch was off lol! My bad. Yes I have heard of the grease method before as well, but I doubt that would be healthy for the clutch if he were to leave it on.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

I wasn't kidding. I took a huge drill bit and an angle grinder and started from the front of the engine and tried to reach it from there. The only thing that stopped me was the oil catching on fire.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:14 AM
Staging Lane

So in all seriousness... I got the tranny and clutch out tonight... and saw that there were no longer any needle bearings in there (is that what they are called?) It looks like they are now dust. And now I have another question...

Should I order another pilot bearing from online somewhere... or will my local auto parts store do the trick? I seriously don't wanna have to do this again for another 500 years so the best piece is what I want unless they are all the same. Chime in please!

Pictures to come!
Old 08-09-2013, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

Also how do I know if I originally installed it correctly? I'm sure that once I get some pics you guys will be able to tell me...

Also now that I'm looking and playing with the throwout bearing... how do I know if that's good?

AND... how can I tell if the input shaft is ok? I'll put up pics of that as well...

Thanks all for your input... and for laughing at my jokes.

Last edited by chewybacca11; 08-09-2013 at 12:17 AM. Reason: cuz
Old 08-09-2013, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

And btw to get it out I'll just rent the blind hole puller like I did last time. No I will not use the grease method!

Quick Reply: Can I remove Pilot Bearing wo removing clutch?