Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Viper T56 on LS1 (E36 Swap) Yoke/Front Plate question - Read before judging please :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper T56 on LS1 (E36 Swap) Yoke/Front Plate question - Read before judging please :)

Ok, before I ask my question I should say I know there is literally hundreds of questions on the Viper T56 being mated to the LS1, and I have searched for as much info as possible regarding what is needed to accomplish this. I believe that I have a relatively good general understanding of what I need to do (LS1 Bellhousing/front plate, Machine Input shaft to LS1 specs, and Yoke change due to 30 spline output) for this to work on my LS1.

As far as my situation goes, I am LS1 swapping my E36 95 M3 and got my hands on a T56 from a 2002 Viper (30k mi for $1500). Which I thought was a relatively good deal before I did the research and found that it was not a direct bolt on swap.

ANYWAY, my questions are as follows;

1) I know the input shaft machining is inevitable (unless I swap to Ls1) but can I use the Viper front plate/Slave wtih the LS1 Bellhousing? Or will the lines to the slave not exit the Bellhousing properly?

2) As far as the yoke goes; Since I am having a custom drive shaft made anyway, can't I just use the Viper yoke and have the drive shaft made accordingly?

Potentially Pertinent Info:

-LS1 from 98' Camaro SS
-T56 from 02' Viper

I apologize in advance if these are somewhat rudimentary questions, but as I said, I searched for as much info as I could and feel that I have a slightly unique situation. I appreciate any and all help or additional information anyone can shed light on.

Last edited by alaz1026; 08-09-2013 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 08-09-2013, 10:56 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

1) If the Viper unit is compatible with installing the LS1 input (not all are,) I'd go that route.

1) There is a Chrysler slave bolt pattern and there is a GM slave bolt pattern. If the Chrysler slave fits your clutch (don't forget to shim,) you're good with keeping the Chrysler front plate.

2) Sure. Why wouldn't you?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used a McLeod bell housing, and didnt have to do any machining on the input shaft.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used a McLeod bell housing, and didnt have to do any machining on the input shaft. It uses a spacer between the trans and bell housing.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmd
1) If the Viper unit is compatible with installing the LS1 input (not all are,) I'd go that route.

1) There is a Chrysler slave bolt pattern and there is a GM slave bolt pattern. If the Chrysler slave fits your clutch (don't forget to shim,) you're good with keeping the Chrysler front plate.

2) Sure. Why wouldn't you?
1) Is there any specific reason you would prefer the LS1 input? Besides the fact that the Viper input is stronger, it appears to me that the machining would actually be cheaper, around $80, as opposed to over $100 for an LS1 Input.

2) What are you referring to as far as shimming? I'm relatively new to the T56/LS1, so I'm not familiar with things like this.

Originally Posted by TT402LS1
I used a McLeod bell housing, and didn't have to do any machining on the input shaft. It uses a spacer between the trans and bell housing.
1) If you retained the stock Viper Input shaft, which pilot bearing did you use, Viper? It is my understanding that the Viper pilot is larger than the LS1 pilot, hence the machining.

2) Also, if you used a Viper pilot, how does this affect clutch selection?

3) Does the McLeod bellhousing allow you to retain the LS1 Slave as well?

I apologize for my seemingly endless questions, I just would like to get everything laid out so that I can get the ball rolling on my project. I sincerely appreciate all the input and great information!

Last edited by alaz1026; 08-11-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:46 PM
Teching In

I believe the shim in the slave is to insure the proper travel for disengagement of the clutch. My stock replacement didn't require it. Since it's not something I've run into I'm not 100% sure.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Viper front adapter plate is thicker than the LS1.
As was mentioned the 'clocking" of the slave pattern is different on the Viper. Also the fasteners for this slave are larger on a Viper
I am not a fan of spacers at the bell/ engine.

The best swap would include adapter & input so the bell directly fits.
If you machine the Viper input, Plan on re-heat-treating the pilot OR you could compromise by machining a custom bushing ( replacing the roller bearing) . It's not a good idea to run a bearing on non HT material.

Quick Reply: Viper T56 on LS1 (E36 Swap) Yoke/Front Plate question - Read before judging please :)