Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Mgw shifter install help....

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mgw shifter install help....

I would like to ask how hard is the installation of this short shifter kit for f body t56 camaro... Is it straight forward install or it needs some modification... Any advice would be highly appreciated specially for those who have this kit on their car... BTW my kit comes with oem size shaft... Thank you!!!!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

the only problem you might have is getting the old shifter unstuck from trans housing because of sealant. I took a pair of channelocks and gently pried against the passenger side of the shifter housing using the hole in floor as leverage . there is a lip on the existing shifter to grab. you will see the outline of the sealant used ,clean and follow same pattern and don't get sealant in the bolt holes or you will hydraulic and blow out the housing holes . you PM'd me at one time but I couldn't get the connect back to you. the oldman....
Old 09-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Thank you very much old man!!! your advise in removing the plate really helped me a lot specially in my case that still have the original shifter... i got it installed now, very happy the way the car shifts right now comparing to my stock ones its like day and night... The only thing is the noise coming from the shifter area im not sure if its vibration or just road noise is this normal on this shifter kit? did you have this noise on your car? just wondering... they say its common to have noise on this aftermarket shifter...

Cheers!!!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes a lot of times you will get more driveline noise because the older shifter has a rubber isolator in the linkage to dampen some of the noise whereas the aftermarket ones are just a straight billet piece
Old 09-06-2013, 06:02 PM
Teching In

I see.. thanks REDBIRD... Over all im very happy with this shifter upgrade its worth the time and money... I enjoy driving my car more... MGW Rocks!!!!!
Old 09-08-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

the inner rubber boot ,some call the number 6 boot is not available any longer so I rubbed permatex spark plug silicone grease on it to keep it from drying out
Old 09-12-2013, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Hey OldMan, is this still related on how to eliminate vibrating noise on the MGW shifter?
Old 09-13-2013, 07:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

the inner rubber boot is available , hawksthirdgen has them , they are re pops and mine is great , just like factory only brand new.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:20 AM
TECH Regular

hey vette not related to vibration, got side tracked. ramair, thanks for info on boot. I always like to have a spare on the odd things. now if we could just get a good console door repop that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. vette vibration could be several things one of the easiest things to check is the tailshaft bushing , but that entails pulling the drive shaft and checking your trans yoke for grooves or rubs indicating wear of bushing in trans. I stand corrected check u-joints for wear first. grey moment struck again..the oldman....
Old 09-14-2013, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

MGW is a great shifter...I ended up cutting mine at that little line and it made for even better shifts.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by vette69
Thank you very much old man!!! your advise in removing the plate really helped me a lot specially in my case that still have the original shifter... i got it installed now, very happy the way the car shifts right now comparing to my stock ones its like day and night... The only thing is the noise coming from the shifter area im not sure if its vibration or just road noise is this normal on this shifter kit? did you have this noise on your car? just wondering... they say its common to have noise on this aftermarket shifter...

Cheers!!!
there is a non stock reusable rubber gasket being sold on ebay just to address this issue, also comes with a rubber gasket to install between the new shift handle and the shifter body lever to again try to address the noise issues. I'm highly considering buying one.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Teching In

I just installed one on my 02 Camaro as well. I noticed a little more noise but nothing too major. Glad to hear you like the shifter though. I love mine, so much better than stock

Quick Reply: Mgw shifter install help....