Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What can it be!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can it be!?

My clutch was not working after it locked out on me. Would not go into any gear with engine running. Tried bleeding it for a week. Ended up seeing oil come from bell housing. Long story short replaced slave and now even the master. The car still does not want to shift at all after hours of bleeding the new master and slave. My mechanic said I need new clutch disk ad pressure plate? Cant be since the car will run if I turn it on in 1st gear. The clutch pedal does have pressure but I heard you have to bench bleed the master when new. Please help since you guys know more from experience. This is my daily driver and I need it for school. Thanks a bunch
Old 09-07-2013, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What i would do is take a mirror and a small flashlight and see if the clutch disc is disengaging by looking at the side of the clutch assembly. You can take the starter off and put the mirror where you can see the disc between the pressure plate and flywheel. Then get some one to push the clutch pedal in and out for you. If you see space opening up between the sides of the disc then you know your hydraulics are working correctly.

If it does not then you need to at least see if you can manage to see the slave push in and out on the pressure plate.

If its pulling the pressure off the disc then there could be a prob with the clutch, the pilot bearing could also be froze on the end of the input shaft.

If you see the pressure plate moving off the disc but the disc looks like its bending to stay in contact with the pressure plate and flywheel then the disc is bent.

The friction material can also come off the disc and be stuck to the pressure plate and flywheel, had that happen this weekend to a brand new clutch disc causing it to not disengage.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you were having problems with release earlier, the clutch material might have fused a bit with the pressure plate and flywheel. As long as it hasn't welded itself together you can try this trick to break it loose;

Car off, put the car in gear, push clutch in and see if someone from behind can push the car. If the clutch material was "stuck" to the pressure plate/flywheel, it may just be enough force to unjam it and get it free spinning.

Quick Reply: What can it be!?