Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch problems

Old 09-15-2013, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clutch problems

Couple days ago while sitting at a light I noticed while the clutch was pushed in, the car was trying to roll. I put it in neutral and pumped the pedal. This helped enough to get it home, and I had 15 min of lights and what not shifting to do. I had no sign the clutch was going out.
Got the wife to help with her pumping the clutch pedal, and I was using CarQuest's version Mighty Vac. Did alot of reading for 2 days on ls1tec but only got just a tiny amount of bubbles. Yes the fluid was dark!
Now there isn't any gear to get into so whatever I had is now gone. I purchased from CarQuest just the clutch master cylinder this morning. Car is all jacked up to work on all this coming week by myself. I plan on going with the Tick, later.
I have watched The Blue Knights video and others and have and still reading about it.
My question is, is it still possible I have air trapped, even tho I didn't do it at the bleeder screw on the tranny. It seems that everything I have read it ends up being the clutch master cylinder. Thanks for any help
Old 09-16-2013, 08:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The spring would not normally cause an issue with release when the pedal is depressed. This sounds more hydraulic in nature. Check the fluid. Is it dark or discolored? Have you tried bleeding the system? If not, flush and refill as the starting point and got from that point forward. Let me know what result you see. Thanks,
Old 09-16-2013, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SPEC-01
The spring would not normally cause an issue with release when the pedal is depressed. This sounds more hydraulic in nature. Check the fluid. Is it dark or discolored? Have you tried bleeding the system? If not, flush and refill as the starting point and got from that point forward. Let me know what result you see. Thanks,
Thanks, but as I put in the above post, Fluid was changed out allready, fluid is dark, I did the bleeding with the Mighty Vac tool.Search says I don't need the spring. Some went thru the hell to put it back on but pretty much says don't worry about it. And I'm not.
I'm already in the process of pulling the stock one out. It's unhooked from the transmission, but the 2 star washers that are underneath the alum u shape that holds the 2 bolts to the master inside where the pedal is, seem to have been put on backwards! They are not on top of the u shape alum piece that's attached to the clutch pedal. They are under that piece! Now I'm stuck
How do I get to them without prying the hell out of that alum piece?
Old 09-17-2013, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sleepinghawk
Thanks, but as I put in the above post, Fluid was changed out allready, fluid is dark, I did the bleeding with the Mighty Vac tool.Search says I don't need the spring. Some went thru the hell to put it back on but pretty much says don't worry about it. And I'm not.
I'm already in the process of pulling the stock one out. It's unhooked from the transmission, but the 2 star washers that are underneath the alum u shape that holds the 2 bolts to the master inside where the pedal is, seem to have been put on backwards! They are not on top of the u shape alum piece that's attached to the clutch pedal. They are under that piece! Now I'm stuck
How do I get to them without prying the hell out of that alum piece?
For some reason I'm thinking my washers were the same way. I had to pull the bracket away so I could break the washers off.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Josh18Fan
For some reason I'm thinking my washers were the same way. I had to pull the bracket away so I could break the washers off.
Thank you, I started doing that by means of pulling the clutch pedal back up, and it comes off about half the distance of the bolt or stud whatever it is. That's when another one of those tension springs came off Now I know I'm screwed! I started reading post about the guys finding 1 of these springs broke, but now I have 2.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:50 AM
FormerVendor

I was intending to check on the fluid condition after your flush and fill. If the darkness and discoloration have returned it can evidence heat or break-down within one of the cylinders which will affect function. If the pedal/clevis/master mechanism is not assembled properly this will inherently affect function too.
Old 09-17-2013, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was intending to check on the fluid condition after your flush and fill. If the darkness and discoloration have returned it can evidence heat or break-down within one of the cylinders which will affect function. If the pedal/clevis/master mechanism is not assembled properly this will inherently affect function too.
The clutch master cylinder is OEM, so is everything else.I only have 65,000 miles, and it's never been to a track and it doesn't get raced. I have not driven the car since the clutch went out. The fluid was dark and dirty when I first checked it before I did anything to it. After flushing and using the Mighty Vac, it was all clear. I never really got any air , maybe 2 little bubles. I got it unhooked from the tranny with no problem. But the 2 star washers that hold the nuts (13 or 15 mm) are underneath the alum shield. They are on wrong.So now I have to bend the shield so I can get those star washers off. I had to order from the dealer today 1 of those tension springs cause a 2nd one came off, from what I don't know.His picture only show 1 spring, so it cost me $52 just for 1. Once I get it all out and then benched bleed, I hope to get it all back in, cause I have a diesel heavy equipment mechanic coming Sunday to do the spring and anything else I screw up! Thanks for your help. All input is appreciated.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:58 AM
FormerVendor

I can feel you pain...there is nothing worse that getting something that has been assembled incorrectly by a previous owner/mechanic. Keep us posted.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can feel you pain...there is nothing worse that getting something that has been assembled incorrectly by a previous owner/mechanic. Keep us posted.
Yes, and this was done at the assembly line where the car was put together. I got the hawk with 300 miles on it, and I know the clutch was never touched. I just hope everything works right when I'm done. Hopefully by Sunday Ill post it's fixed.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the new clutch master cylinder got installed, and we pumped and pumped and pumped to make sure there was no air. So that didn't fix it. Getting everything drained and apart to pull the tranny out New GM slave has been ordered from a sponsor. At least I can change the tranmission fluid now a whole lot easier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch problems