Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

ARP Pressure Plate Bolt Torque Spec

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ARP Pressure Plate Bolt Torque Spec

Anyone know this? I know what stock it, but this part # doesnt register on the website.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2013, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

From previous experience, its more than 74ft-lbs with moly lube. I installed to the gm spec 74ft-lbs and had to pull my tranny to retighten when unexpected vibes from the tranny mount caused my bolts to back out.

if you're using arp assembly lube on arp bolts, 84ft-lbs. If using arp bolts with red loctite, 74ft-lbs is my guess.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is ARP's phone number. They will be happy to answer your questions. There is no need to guess.

800-826-3045
Old 09-19-2013, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
From previous experience, its more than 74ft-lbs with moly lube. I installed to the gm spec 74ft-lbs and had to pull my tranny to retighten when unexpected vibes from the tranny mount caused my bolts to back out.

if you're using arp assembly lube on arp bolts, 84ft-lbs. If using arp bolts with red loctite, 74ft-lbs is my guess.
Dang, not even close, PP bolts are in the hood of 45 to 52ftlbs.

Anyone wonder how you get an accurate torque with the plate load pushing against the head of the bolt? Seems one you have the plate bolted down to were its flush, the torque wrench will click without any additional rotation.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28

Anyone wonder how you get an accurate torque with the plate load pushing against the head of the bolt? Seems one you have the plate bolted down to were its flush, the torque wrench will click without any additional rotation.
Hope you are tightening them all a turn at a time and pulling it down evenly. I pull them all like this, torque each bolt in 3 stages to the final value, then go around several times at final value to make sure nothing moves. As a side note, once all bolts are down, pick one and you can remove it (almost) by hand as the others hold the plate down.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Hope you are tightening them all a turn at a time and pulling it down evenly. I pull them all like this, torque each bolt in 3 stages to the final value, then go around several times at final value to make sure nothing moves. As a side note, once all bolts are down, pick one and you can remove it (almost) by hand as the others hold the plate down.

Hmmm....I wish I had that idea last night. Its already back together

I cris-crossed the tightening sequence, and went around the wheel ensuring they were torqued to 52, but they already seemed to be about that tight already....
Old 09-20-2013, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

I have been installing clutches for years and just now I realized that....But I guess if the pressure of the PP is pushing back, I assume the bolts are stretching to ensure clamping force? I don't think anyone really has dug this deep into it...
Old 09-21-2013, 04:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by badazz81z28

Oh dang, good you corrected me. Not sure why I had flywheel to crank bolts in mind, he clearly said pressure plate!

Quick Reply: ARP Pressure Plate Bolt Torque Spec