Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Clutch Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 10:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Clutch Slipping

Hey everybody,

I put a Monster Stage 2 and Tick master in (replaced the slave at the same time) about 2000 miles ago and it has been awesome. Recently it started slipping and has been getting worse and worse to the point that I can barely drive it now.

I called Monster and they were very helpful with what to check out. I bled the clutch and the pedal is now much better and the shifts are more positive. I adjusted the Tick master to make sure the pressure plate wasn't overextending or dragging. The problem persists.

I have noticed an engine oil leak that requires adding a quart every couple thousand miles which I felt was pretty normal for an LS1, but I suppose there is a small chance that the engine oil is leaking onto the clutch and causing a slip. I don't think its clutch fluid because it hasn't dropped even a millimeter in the reservoir.

Unfortunately I don't see how I can examine the clutch to SEE if there is any oil on it. I guess I could take the starter and plastic plate off, but that will only let me see the back on the flywheel. I would rather not drop the trans if I don't have to.

Any thoughts on what I should check or adjust or clean before going through the whole ordeal? Thanks a lot folks, I appreciate it.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same kinda thing happened to my brother with his stage 2. His power steering/rack were leaking and somehow the fluid was being flung back into the clutch area contaminating the clutch disc and making it slip.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:43 AM
12 Second Club

So it might not be something specifically in the bellhousing or rear of the engine causing the leak? That's pretty interesting. I really don't see how anything would get into the bellhousing as there is so little clearance anywhere around it.

I hope you're right and I just have a leak that's dripping back there. Thanks a lot for your post.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, the rear main seal is back there. I know lots of people say when you replace your clutch, while you are there you should replace the rear main seal as they are known to leak over time in these cars.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks, I was stupid and didn't change the rear main seal on my 100K mile engine while I was in there. I will 99% drop the trans and inspect everything, replace the rear main, and take a look around in general.

Assuming it was just a leak in the forward area that was dripping back there and I fix it, would the oil residue on the clutch eventually wear off or is that just asking for more issues?

Thanks for the continued support.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, my brother talked with someone from monster clutch about his clutch disc getting contaminated and they basically told him the clutch disc is ruined once it got fluid on it. It didn't sound like something where you can just clean off the disc with brake cleaner as many have suggested in other threads. If it was in fact the rear main seal leaking oil on the disc you may need to contact monster and order a new disc then just clean up the fly wheel and pressure plate really well.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks, I will contact them. I really don't want to have to fork out a bunch of cash, but I'd much rather KNOW I need to than guess about it and wonder if I shoulder have or not or if I wasted money or not.

Thanks for the help buddy, that was very insightful.

B
Old 09-23-2013, 12:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fluid will ruin any disc if it gets on it, but Kevlar especially soaks it up the worst. Feel free to contact me when you get it pulled apart so we can access everything. Chris, 817-750-2000

Quick Reply: New Clutch Slipping