Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

More master cylinder problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default More master cylinder problems

I was backing up at a gas station this weekend doing about 3 mph when my clutch pedal suddenly snapped to the floor and the car stalled. The pedal would snap up if I pulled it back about halfway and would snap all the way back down, hard, if it got any pressure. Got it towed home and took a look at the pedal assembly, and it turns out the master cylinder actuator rod that connects to the pedal snapped off the pedal. It's just hanging there kind of sideways. I have no idea why or how it came off since I was barely even moving the pedal when it happened, just easing it up while in reverse.

My question is do I need a new master or can this just be hooked back up to the pedal? If it's hanging sideways like that, is it irritating the top seal on the master and could cause it to fail/already has blown the seal? This is an Autozone AP branded master. (haven't gotten around to getting my Tick yet)
Old 10-01-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 10-02-2013, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

Not sure how explanatory these will be since it's such a bitch to take pictures under the dash but here are some pics:
(pictures deleted because they were huge and sucked)

You can kind of see how the rod is off to one side, and maybe how it's just hanging there not attached to the pedal.

oops huge images

Last edited by fruitsalad; 10-04-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

Update: It was the plastic retainer clip that holds the rod onto the pedal. It snapped off and the collar was bent a little.

Quick Reply: More master cylinder problems