Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

over tightened drain plug leaking

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default over tightened drain plug leaking

Well I guess I over tightened the drain plug on my manual trans and there is a hairline crack that is slowly dripping fluid. How can I fix this. Will jb weld be enough. Anyone else fix this problem?
Old 10-02-2013, 08:43 PM
12 Second Club

After thinking about it and looking at it some more it's amazing fluid can even pass thru such a small crack. Anyways I think I'm gonna put a little rtv on the treads of the plug and a dab of jb weld over the crack and try it out. I don't see why it wouldn't help. My thoughts is that it would be over kill to try and have something so small welded. The crack would have to be opened up just to weld on it and its so small it's almost invisible so I'm gonna try the jb weld. Any other thoughts please share
Old 10-03-2013, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Were the threads damaged on the bolt or drain plug hole from over tightening? I'm really **** about my car, so if it were me I'd get the crack welded at a shop, should be pretty cheap. And then if the threads were damaged I'd either replace the bolt or retap the hole as needed.

If I did it like how you described (which isn't wrong necessarily), I'd always have it in the back of my head like, "Did the jbweld finally break off somehow?" "Is the crack getting bigger as time goes by?" "Is the fluid leaking through the rtv sealant?" Almost like putting a bandaid on it, the bandaid could eventually fall off.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:02 PM
12 Second Club

Very true! I actually backed the bolt out just a tad and the crack closed up and it hasn't dripped since

Quick Reply: over tightened drain plug leaking