Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New LT1 clutch balance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 07:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New LT1 clutch balance?

I am having my stock flywheel re surfaced and picked up a new clutch. It has the genaric c70043 pressure plate which does not appear to be balanced. I planned on having it balanced with the flywheel but when I went to the machine shop I was told that he cant do it unless I have a zero balance flywheel to bolt it to. He also said there was no where in the area that would be able to zero balance the pp on its own. My question is, since this pressure plate comes with pretty much every LT1 clutch kit now adays and most of them dont come balanced, should it be okay to just use it as is? Has anyone had experience using one without balancing it first?

And yes I have searched... Found a couple of people who have had vibratons but none of them were using a stock flywheel. I figure lots of these must have been just thrown on as a stock replacements and wanted to know if anyone has experienced problems.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2013, 10:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

on a stock motor with stock FW you should be able to use a "replacement" clutch. Yes the clones these days of every PP don't have any holes drilled in the outer tabs of the PP plate itself like the OEM valeo PP did.

I replaced a few clutches on my stock motor/FW with no balance issue. Once you go "internal" balance on a rebuilt motor you need to use a neutral balance FW and then have the PP neutral balanced to that.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that you had no issues with them. Hopefully I can get it together this weekend and see if I am as lucky.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

on a bone stock car with original FW there would be a paint dab on FW and PP. I have never seen a replacement clutch, even a 'real" valeo when you could get them have any paint dab on them to match up

while I have never had a issue and I would think 10s of thousands of "LT1" clutches have been replaced with a variety of auto part store brand clutches I have not had any issue. If for some reason you did you could 180 position the PP. Doubt that would have to happen but if it did to me that is what I would do.

just TQ PP bolts to 22 ft lbs using blue loc tite.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:45 PM
FormerVendor

You won't find a paint dab on a cover that wasn't balanced with the flywheel. This is done to assemblies to provide information on orientation when re-assembling the unit during installation. That being said, balance weights can be added to a pressure-plate if the plate has wholes for weights that are riveted in place. If you need us to, we can certainly balance the assembly for you. Give me a call if you are interested and we can discuss it further. Thanks!
Old 10-07-2013, 06:59 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the input. I decided to just put the clutch in without balancing the PP and all seems to be good! That being said I would still recommend anyone to get it balanced if possible.

Quick Reply: New LT1 clutch balance?